I Forge Iron

In the book "The Complete Modern Blacksmith" on page 279 the author teaches how to make hammer dies using rail track filling the space with a carved to mate hardwood. Has anyone tried this?

I was reviewing this thread and noticed ''carved to mate hardwood''...........what is this???........thx,mb

What Weygers is saying in the book is to fill the sides of the rail with a hard wood blocks, he then countersinks and rivets the blocks. He explains in the text that making a piece of steel to fill the void is not easy to do and the wood perform as well.
I know where his power hammer is now and it is for sale, 35 lb Commonsense power hammer- I went to look at it a few years back the guy is selling a package deal with all kinds of tools and material for a ridiculous price

Thanks for explaining the blocks........I really have to question their value as die supports and drilling and riveting isn't all that easy compared to welding in steel supports.............To my reckoning the supports needn't protrude beyond the die, and could even be a piece of rectangular bar tucked inside rather than outside the face of the die........If there was a void between the web of the rail and the support I doubt it would matter...mb

What Weygers is saying in the book is to fill the sides of the rail with a hard wood blocks, he then countersinks and rivets the blocks. He explains in the text that making a piece of steel to fill the void is not easy to do and the wood perform as well.
I know where his power hammer is now and it is for sale, 35 lb Commonsense power hammer- I went to look at it a few years back the guy is selling a package deal with all kinds of tools and material for a ridiculous price

Weygers hammer? What side of ridiculous are we talking about?

Re Weygers hammer I can not find the add now but it was on craigslist- I think he was around $9000 for the package deal- he wanted to sell it all together- welders and other misc tools, I have some pictures if you would like to see. This guy has a ranch here but spends most of the time away. He did tell me that he got the hammer from the Wygers estate in Carmel Valley, and it is set up just like what he shows in his book with the motor on top of the hammer. here is a picture
post-10376-0-17529500-1304527195_thumb.j

Weygers was very resourceful, his books show how to make tools with common items- like a disk sander made using a washing machine motor. A true genius in my mind- and yes you can't take it with you- you never see a hearse with a luggage rack

His book was my first teacher. Man, the drawings! That guy was the ultimate scrounge artist (in a very refined way), and true artist. I don't use that word too much, either. I made a set of his bowl gouges and they are so right. I am going to have to get that book back from my bud. I bet there's some good juju in that hammer, might be worth the coin.

The hammer is in real good condition, most of the other Commonsense hammers that I have seen have been repaired the arms are a weak part. If he would sell the hammer by its self I would be interested, the problem is the package deal- I already have the other equipment and trying to resell used equipment right now you have to sell at a loss.