I Forge Iron

Fisher dbl screw vise

Judson Yaggy

That one's in good shape. That's Southshoresmith selling it if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure some folks will chime in with shocked disbelief about the price, but these things are really rare and probably undervalued for what they are. I'd pay $1500 for a mint large rare anvil if I needed one knowing that I could resell it for par or better, that vise is also in the large, rare, and useful category.

Anyone else have pics of these things that they would share?

That's the price I am willing to part with it for and whats its worth to me. If you can find a better deal be my guest, good working 8" leg vises don't come up that often. I check eBay several times a week for about the last ten years I have seen 3 perhaps 4 of these vises in that time and never an 8". I have seen a 5" go for $750 and a broken 4" go for $450. They had two worn out ones at ABANA Memphis in 2010 for about $800. I bought a 7" with no leg that was in good shape other wise in 2006 for $1100 in an auction on eBay. I was told they were selling for $1200 new in the late 70's. My quick inflation adjuster tells me "What cost $1200 in 1981 would cost $2982.47 in 2011". So I am asking about half replacement cost if you had a time machine. Tell Me I'm wrong and tell me why I'm interested to hear your opinions. I might budge if you can convince me.

"alleged value" is a term of art. Personally I don't consider them that valuable and see the hyping of them to be more of a bubble or trying to "induce" a "collector's market". Generally see one or two each quad-state.

If you need a large parallel jaw vise than one of the old chipping vises will probably work just fine.

Since you asked:

Whether it has nothing on a different type of vise depends on if you need that extra. Paying extra for features you do not use does not make sense---though auto manufacturers would differ in their opinion---my 4 cylinder 2wd pickup has seen a lot more off the road miles than many a massive 4wd SUV...

Inflation doesn't increase all prices evenly. Otherwise we would not need a market basket to determine it. Just pick one item and it's increase would be the right number for everything. (You may remember that the "going rate" for anvils stayed at US$1 a pound for *decades* even when houses, cars, and gas doubled.)

Rarity does not equate to high price. I can bend a nail into the shape that no other nail in the world has---will you then pay me $2000 for it? It's *rare*!

I met a fellow recently who told me he had just sold a fisher parallel jaw vise for US$150---too cheap in my opinion; wish he met me first; but I would probably have sold it on as it doesn't suit my needs as well as a cheaper vise would. (What really hurts is that I will now be giving smithing lessons to his kid *after* he got rid of all the smithing equipment on their farm...)

Thomas,
I looked into that tech and got some quotes for work...it is more economical to do it the way I do....though the technique is evolving.
I never tried for a grant to explore the techniques I wish to explore...mostly gathering tooling as I can and self-funding.

As to folk helping me with my shop:
There is a HUGE difference between "cleaning UP" and "Cleaning OUT"
I do have some tools that need to go.

But there is room for another vice. :)

Ric

• 4 months later...

I bought an 8" about 2 years ago for 450.00. That was a fair price in my opinion. I like it and would buy another if the price is right. Like anything they are only worth what people are willing to pay. Sometimes emotions get involved and the price of things go up. If someone wants to give me 1600.00 for mine I will even pay for half of the shipping.