I Forge Iron

Fisher dbl screw vise

Judson Yaggy

They are lovely things indeed; but I don't find the added feature to be worth the price generally *if* one was starting out to tool up a shop. I'd save the cash towards a power hammer.

Now if you have the money and are well equipped then that would make a nice addition.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, since the original CL posting is gone, let's post some photos of Fisher double screw leg vises. Here are a series of pics of mine, 6.25" wide jaws. Opens to around 7", jaws stay parallel the whole way. Not surprised that Monster thought they were made in only 2 sizes as I've only ever seen the 6" and 8" in almost 20 years of looking. Anvils In America shows adds and photos of a whole range of sizes thou, so they must have made them. Anyone have or seen something besides the above 2 sizes? IIRC Nol Putnam down in VA has a big one, and another smith here in Vermont has an 8".

Not sure if it shows well in my photos but it looks like Fisher used the same steel to cast iron technique with the jaws/body of the vises as they did on their anvils. Note that the roller chain on mine is not OEM, it was missing when I found this vise. Actually good luck for me as I could dicker with the seller, "gee that is BUSTED, missing parts, I'll only go as high as $200" ;) .
post-6738-0-26719600-1301177228_thumb.jp
post-6738-0-10897900-1301177261_thumb.jp
post-6738-0-09611400-1301177273_thumb.jp
post-6738-0-91891400-1301177285_thumb.jp
post-6738-0-30991100-1301177303_thumb.jp
post-6738-0-22792600-1301177313_thumb.jp
post-6738-0-13300600-1301177327_thumb.jp
post-6738-0-31288500-1301177338_thumb.jp

Just screws in? Dunno. Good info Grant. Never looked at that part of mine specifically, just assumed it was a cast/steel fit like the jaws. As usual what you say is obvious once you think about it thou. I'll try and unscrew it if you promise to replace the busted casting when the experiment goes south. :P OTOH a 3" diameter leg on a vise would be wicked!

Anyone else care to share photos/specs?

• 1 month later...

Postman's Anvils in America has an 1899 ad that descibes 5 sizes of these vises and Fisher labeled them #2 through #6, with #6 being the largest-- 8" jaws, 10" opening, and weighing 160-lbs. I have an early #2 size and the ad states that that vise weighs 65-lbs and came with 4-1/2" jaws. No leg was configured for the #2, as it was supposed to bolt right to a bench or work station, I suppose.This vise was found in Trenton, NJ about 10 years ago and has probably never traveled more that 12 miles from where it was made.

I also own most of a #5. It's missing the lower screw, the gear, and the chain. Clark Fisher received a patent for this vise design in 1883 and was issued patent number 282975.

post-12488-0-50878500-1304313739_thumb.jPostman's Anvils in America has an 1899 ad that descibes 5 sizes of these vises and Fisher labeled them #2 through #6, with #6 being the largest-- 8" jaws, 10" opening, and weighing 160-lbs. I have an early #2 size and the ad states that that vise weighs 65-lbs and came with 4-1/2" jaws. No leg was configured for the #2, as it was supposed to bolt right to a bench or work station, I suppose.This vise was found in Trenton, NJ about 10 years ago and has probably never traveled more that 12 miles from where it was made. Pictured with it is a No. 2 Stanley plane for size comparison.

I also own most of a #5. It's missing the lower screw, the gear, and the chain. Clark Fisher received a patent for this vise design in 1883 and was issued patent number 282975.

Grant, I tried to unscrew the leg off of mine and it wiggles but won't turn. (I find the thing too tall and thought it would be wise to protect the 'collector's value' by substituting a new, shorter leg while losing the original somewhere in the back off the shop.)

Never can tell about an item's travels. I traded for a 410# Trenton anvil in a small town just outside Columbus OH where it was made. Of course it had spent the last 80 years over 1500 miles away in Arizona at a mine before it moved "home". I've now moved it back out to NM...

• 2 months later...

They made 5 or 6 sizes I have two of them. I have a 6" and an 8".

At one time, Fisher actually made 6 sizes of the chain vise. #1 through #6. The two smallest were made to be bench mounted and did not have provision in the casting for a leg. #3 through #6 have legs. They were not cast in. I believe they were threaded in after the vises were finished.

The interesting thing is that the steel jaw inserts were welded to the casting during the pour. I am still studying the patterns to figure out how they ran the gating system.

The "holy grail" of these vises is the #1. It is small, only about 15" total length, and light. I believe the weight is about 15 lbs. I have only seen the castings of one. I have never seen a complete #1. The Quest continues. I have all of the other sizes, and their patterns.

If anyone has or knows of a #1 Fisher vise, please let me know.

Fisher Double Screw Vises: More Information

The #1 vise seems to have been made only around 1870-1890. The #2 and #3 were only made until the 19teens. The #4,5, and 6 were made until Fisher/Crossley stopped production in 1979. Below are some data on them:

Size / weight / Jaw width / $$cost in 1887 / $$cost in 1981
1 / 25 / 3 1/2" / $7/ NA
2 / 65 / 4 1/2" / $10/ NA
3 / 90 / 5 1/4" / $16/ NA
4 / 120 / 6 1/4" / $21 / $1050
5 / 150 / 7" / $27 / $1100
6 / 200 / 8" / $30 / $1200

The museum has the patterns for the #2, #4, #5, and #6. They used special flasks for the molds. I do not have any of them. These patterns were used many times. When I found them in the pattern room, there was only one set for each size. These patterns probably made the molds for most of the double screw Fisher vises out there.

I just checked one of my #6 Fisher vises. The leg is threaded into the casting. It is just a steel bar with matching threads to the casting. Changing the length of the leg will not affect the value or integrity of the vise.

#3 through #6 have legs added after the vise was cast. #1 and #2 were made without legs and were just top hung.

• 1 month later...

The drive chain looks just like old machine chain like was used on grain lifts and a wide variety of farm machinery. There should be some available about anywhere a steam and gas association is active, or at least knowledge of where to find it.
Hope that helps.