I Forge Iron

Noisy Champion 400 Blower

Borntoolate

I put new bearings (1/4") into a Champion 400 blower on the worm gear only. Cups and cones have some wear which I did nothing with. It has a kind of Gravely plus tinking sound when you operate it. Very annoying. Any advice? It is not the fan because the fan is off and it make the same sound. With the worm gear removed it is smooth as can be. Of course there is no load on any bearing either then. At Brian Brazeal's wotkshop it was by far the noisiest blower. Lyle did say he thought it was about 30,000 (or was it 3,000) behind Brians as far as SN#. Any advice? Here are some pics for reference. I have played with various bearing settings and such but it still is mostly not where I want it or even close (NOISY)

post-16782-0-56065700-1299975749_thumb.j

post-16782-0-51762600-1299975761_thumb.j

post-16782-0-76018100-1299975769_thumb.j

The worm gear and worm lap themselves to each other from years of use. When you took the gears apart and then reassembled, you probably didn’t get it back together in that exact timing. You could use trial and error trying to find that timing again or there is a quick fix.

Put some valve grinding compound (available at automotive stores) on the worm gear and rotate the gears until the ticking goes away. Then mark the exact relationship of the worm gear to the worm, take the gears out and wash away the compound. Then reassemble exactly as it was.

CILADOG, so it's not just side to side setting of the brass gear but also front to back setting of the worm that the fan blade is attached to then? That would be a LOT of trial and error if so.

So I chose to tweak as best I can, put up with the noise and see if the new setting of gears and such find their way to happiness over time. I also found that one of the blades was a little loose. Upon assembly I noticed an added noise. one of the blade rivets was not fully set and I was afraid to try wacking anything too much for fear of breakage. Plus, one side of the rivet had been whacked to almost nothing already. I put a small piece of paper in the gap between the blade shaft and the blade to stop it from moving as a test. The added noise went away. So now, with a dab of JB weld in a few strategic places I expect that bit of noise to be gone. I JB'd all the other blades in a similar way for balance and prevention. Just a dab mind you.

So I chose to tweak as best I can, put up with the noise and see if the new setting of gears and such find their way to happiness over time. I also found that one of the blades was a little loose. Upon assembly I noticed an added noise. one of the blade rivets was not fully set and I was afraid to try wacking anything too much for fear of breakage. Plus, one side of the rivet had been whacked to almost nothing already. I put a small piece of paper in the gap between the blade shaft and the blade to stop it from moving as a test. The added noise went away. So now, with a dab of JB weld in a few strategic places I expect that bit of noise to be gone. I JB'd all the other blades in a similar way for balance and prevention. Just a dab mind you.

Sorry about that, don't know what happened.

I said my ears are still ringing! Just kidding! It didn't bother me at all, I was trying to stay focused on what Brian and Lyle were teaching us. Good thing I had an Awesome partner!! Thanks for letting me join in with you and hope we got some good things figured out.

Bill

Do you have the grease caps for the sides of the blower? I replaced the bearings under the grease caps on one of my Champion 400 blower with bearings sold for bicycle forks, and that helped my blower some.

I have all grease caps. Without the worm gear all is well. Best I can tell... But then I do not know how to take apart the other two gear bearings and inspect or replace them. I don't think they are a problem. But I could be wrong. I beleive the other gears have sleeve bearings not ball bearings but I really cant's say.

• 5 years later...

The new balls rotating against rust pitted and worn cup and cone will make for a horrific noise. I have had some luck with one size oversized balls, but it don't help much. The worm gear rotates quite fast and it is a source of noise. 

The fix seems to locate one that is quiet. if I find one that simply "hums" I buy it even if I don't need it. I have gotten rid of all my loud (400) blowers and now enjoying the quiet life.