I Forge Iron

anvil Identification

Hey guys thanks ahead of time for your help.
I was just blessed with a new anvil. can you help me id it and maybe tell me what its worth. this guy weighs in at 90#. the letters, in a circle "MP" are on the front. I don't know if you can tell or not from the photos but this thing hardly been used the top edges are still square. Any idea on the age?
Thankspost-19255-0-82609600-1299705456_thumb.j

post-19255-0-06691700-1299705414_thumb.j

post-19255-0-34532200-1299705435_thumb.j

Farrier's anvil; quite recently made I would suspect. May still be in production. Now to track down the maker and see what they are/were charging for it.

(Probably very loud too!)

Not a very good style for blademaking or working with stout stock. For very small ornamental work it might be just the thing!

The "sweet spot" for heavy hammering is the area of the face where there is mass all the way to the foot of the anvil as you can see that anvil was designed for minimal "sweet spot" Compare it with say a NIMBA anvil where the face is pretty much all "sweet spot".

Farrier's anvil; quite recently made I would suspect. May still be in production. Now to track down the maker and see what they are/were charging for it.

(Probably very loud too!)

Not a very good style for blademaking or working with stout stock. For very small ornamental work it might be just the thing!

The "sweet spot" for heavy hammering is the area of the face where there is mass all the way to the foot of the anvil as you can see that anvil was designed for minimal "sweet spot" Compare it with say a NIMBA anvil where the face is pretty much all "sweet spot".

The guy i got it from says he used it many many years ago. not new

If it's less than 50 years old it's "recent" in the blacksmithing world.

I commonly use equipment over 150 years old. It's nothing special; smithing stuff tends to "wear like iron!"

You have to get into the 1700's before things are "real old" in the blacksmithing world! (The basic "London pattern" for anvils has been in use since the 1820's)

I would "guess" the 1970's to 1980's for that design and so pretty recent. If the person trying to sell it to you tells you it's 100 years old then I would be very careful of dealing with them!

I'll drop over to anvilfire and see if Frank Turley recognizes it---he started as a Farrier and has been teaching blacksmithing since the 1970's!