I Forge Iron

homemade power hammers

400 Hours???? Now I've built a few hammers (not to mention the first 100 KA hammers) so I kinda know what I'm doing, but 400 hours? If I had the materials marshaled and a plan, I can't imagine it taking more than 40 hours! Especially for the simple designs we're talking about here.

For a first time hammer, I wouldn't consider more than a 40 pound hammer. As size increases, stresses go up exponentially.

a RR car axle makes a great anvil!

you could also scale down your ram size and scale up your BPMs, like the old helve hammers running at 400BPM that only had a 15 or 20 pound head

Good one Sam, I bet they do make a good anvil pretty solid and hard as well

I really dont want to hear anyone else mention the railcar axle unless they can back it up with directions on how to LEAGALLY purchase this item ok? Sorry hate to get pissy bout that but its one thing to say it and another to back it up.

course that is just the burlington northern and is the only RR here in spfd. there may be others that sell this but doubtfull as there is a huge liability issue and the RRs want to make sure these items are destroyed. again please dont mention it unless you know for sure where to purchase this leagally please.

I came across some axles when I was building a hammer a few months back. They were in the useables section of a large scrap yard.
Too hard to deal with, too much drop........
I knew of some guys who thought they'ed struck it rich and filled their truck with tie plates. Took em' to the scrap dealer and went right to the hooscow. Nobody told em that the RR and the scrappers are pretty cozy.........

I came across some axles when I was building a hammer a few months back. They were in the useables section of a large scrap yard.
I knew of some guys who thought they'ed struck it rich and filled their truck with tie plates. Took em' to the scrap dealer and went right to the hooscow. Nobody told em that the RR and the scrappers are pretty cozy.........

what salvage yard was that and do you know if they still have any? please refresh my memory where johnstown is. i know its in the mountians. didnt they have a narrow gauge rr there or am i thinking of goergetown? I grew up in lakewood and moved from there in ot 3. if there is a junkyard that has them i could have my dad pick one up and hold it for me.

Oh by the way I can take a joke and yes the railcar axle refference was funny. I took it for sarcasm right off as me and my brother pull the same shtuff on one another. Goood one dude.

one thing im starting to understand is a railcar axle may make a good anvil lol

i got a lead on some large rounds from a machine shop supply. dont know why i didnt think of it as i have been there many times to buy tooling for my 1912 american tool works lathe 18 inch swing.

400 Hours???? Now I've built a few hammers (not to mention the first 100 KA hammers) so I kinda know what I'm doing, but 400 hours? If I had the materials marshaled and a plan, I can't imagine it taking more than 40 hours! Especially for the simple designs we're talking about here.

For a first time hammer, I wouldn't consider more than a 40 pound hammer. As size increases, stresses go up exponentially.

i think there are homebuilt aircraft that have a 400 hr build time. yea its another addiction

I really dont want to hear anyone else mention the railcar axle unless they can back it up with directions on how to LEAGALLY purchase this item ok? Sorry hate to get pissy bout that but its one thing to say it and another to back it up.

course that is just the burlington northern and is the only RR here in spfd. there may be others that sell this but doubtfull as there is a huge liability issue and the RRs want to make sure these items are destroyed. again please dont mention it unless you know for sure where to purchase this leagally please.

ok duh just remebered johnstown is between ft collins and denver. and the famous johnstown corner truck stop with the best cinamon rolls ever.

ok duh just remebered johnstown is between ft collins and denver. and the famous johnstown corner truck stop with the best cinamon rolls ever.

You're thinking of ''Johnson's Corner'', one of America's greatest destinations, second only to ''wall Drug'' in SD, (after driving across SD anyplace is a great destination). Oh, and the cinnamon rolls
are way overrated too. About 15 min from here..........
The axle(s) are in Greeley at Andersons Salvage, I'd be happy to show you right to em...........mb

Thanks for the excellent description. I am now armed with the proper terminology to discuss this inteigently. I will look for that book as I read all I can. i have several of the lindsey catalog books already. I am planning on attending the show/meet in sedalia missouri next month. should be real fun. I am still looking for a good anvil as used good ones are hard to find. most are used up junk. One of the reasons to know what types of material to build with is so that I can now start keeping an eye out for material to build with. I am planning on building with as much used salvage as i can as thats all i really have to work with as money is a problem since the market crash.

Does anyone have any ideas where I could get a solid mass round or square stock in small quantity and preferable salved and cheap to form the anvil? I really like the rail car axle idea but im just not sure thats going to be easy to find.

I'm gathering parts and pieces to build a power hammer of my own and was thinking of using a chunk of railroad track for the dies. I looked at another hammer that used that very thing.

You're thinking of ''Johnson's Corner'', one of America's greatest destinations, second only to ''wall Drug'' in SD.lol. Oh, and the cinnamon rolls
are way overrated too. About 15 min from here..........
The axle(s) are in Greeley at Andersons Salvage, I'd be happy to show you right to em...........mb

Great i only spent 30 years of my life there and now i cant remeber xxxx. im either getting to xxxx old my mind is failing or i need to get back more. anyhow i wonder if a dodge caravan can haul a rr axle lol. Im supprised theres anyone in greely with rr axles. I wonder how they got them.

Do you live in Colorado?.........You probly know what an axle weighs better than me, all I know for sure about that is I don't want one on my foot. If you ain't too far I could haul it, a Caravan sounds a bit dodgy to me (pun intended):rolleyes:

400 hours if you cut it all with a hack saw day and a half if you got all the steel motor an belt 3days if you got to run round took half hour to cut 2 pieces main column and other bits (C channel 6mm ) tack weld ran out of electrodes whiskey and beer also got to stare out shed wish could get payed for that.

I live in springfield mo. My dad is still in lakewood and has a business yard in arvada i could store it. im gona check on my lead today and will balance that against cost. i really would like to make a trip back to denver. Its always nice to come home. there is no better place than the front range in spring. just something about that nice fresh DRY mountian air comming down from the mountain.
Its hard to explain till ya live somewhere like springfield mo where at times it seems you can wring the air out and it smells stagnent.

400 hrs! If your time is worth a paltry $20 an hr, It would be worth $8,000, plus matieral .......I don't see the incentive...........mb

Your time is only worth $20 an hour if you have work paying $20 an hour at the time.

There are other incentives than financial as well. Lastly, I think 400 hours is a bit of an exageration.

I live in springfield mo. My dad is still in lakewood and has a business yard in arvada i could store it. im gona check on my lead today and will balance that against cost. i really would like to make a trip back to denver. Its always nice to come home. there is no better place than the front range in spring. just something about that nice fresh DRY mountian air comming down from the mountain.
Its hard to explain till ya live somewhere like springfield mo where at times it seems you can wring the air out and it smells stagnent.

You've done it now, guess you've been away too long and forgotten, ''springtime in the Rockys''.......If I happen to get over Greeley way I'll check on (it). I embellished my post a little when I said there was a pile of em', never done THAT before.:lol: Your Caravan will be relieved to hear ..........mb

He is gonna have a 100 + hrs just rounding up parts

I hear you there Clint, the last one I built I drove 100's of miles and spent days scrounging for ''cheap'' steel. My quicker,cheaper hammer project wasn't so much. In a number of key components (anvil in particular) I would have been better off biting the bullet and paying retail ;)

Ya macbruce, I am not trying to discourage this guy but it has been my experience that building something from scratch takes a lot of leg work, and trying to find parts that are free or cheap takes time. Building your own power hammer would be a fun project, and rewarding when you start pounding on some hot steel with it. Seems a lot easier and probably cheaper to find a hammer that is working or needs some work

Ya macbruce, I am not trying to discourage this guy but it has been my experience that building something from scratch takes a lot of leg work, and trying to find parts that are free or cheap takes time. Building your own power hammer would be a fun project, and rewarding when you start pounding on some hot steel with it. Seems a lot easier and probably cheaper to find a hammer that is working or needs some work

That was the best for me, making something then getting to use it. Yes it did take a long time as I made trips to the scrapyard and came back empty handed. But in the end it was well worth it. If it was a project I needed completed right away or I had contracted to build for someone, I would have gotten new stuff and went from there.

Another variable is; Lining up the anvil to the frame is a critical part of the fabricating, and if it's not spot on the dies are out of wack. Been there done that. :(
I discovered that a digital level is a real + when fabing these critical line ups. You can zero them on the base (even if it's not level) and forget about levels and squares so much. They are within 1/10 of one degree, they're not cheap but if they prevent one mistake, they are priceless.
I have to admit my first hammer took way longer than was feasible,a good learning experience though. I could actually call it fun, except for the 6, 1'' bolt holes I had to tap.
One cool thing about building your own hammer, you get what you want......Hopefully........mb

if thats the case then why do any of this? i mean why stand at an anvil and a hot piece of steel and pound out a knife? why not just run down to knives r us and buy a knife. kind of easier if i need to cut something right now isnt it???

ya see the project is the entertainment. if i wanted easy i wouldnt do any of this et all. there is a pride in a project. I am not purposly going to go looking for materials to do this. thats a looser. however i keep my eye out and it comes my way. I am in the demolition industry so I am privilaged to many things others can only wish they could get. and i get paid to take it. as far as discourage me. well thats just not possible as i dont get defeated easily.