I Forge Iron

homemade power hammers

I did some figuring today and for a 10 - 1 ratio i would need a 1000 lbs anvil for a 100 lbs hammer. ok so if my anvil was 30 inches tall i would need a 12.25 inch dia round piece of steel to make the 1000lbs. man that aint gona be easy to find around here. for a larger town you would be supprised how things are hard to get in spfd mo. then there gona want way to much for it.

I had a thought I know where there is a shop that does flame and plasma cutting. they cut lots of stuff 1 inch thick. if i could get a good price on thier drop pile and i could find a bunch of 12 inch round disks 1 inch thick then why couldnt i weld them up in a stack?
I can even machine a bevel in the edges on my lathe for this purpose.

Lots of welding though and may be cheaper to get a drop than but the darn rod. maybee not

the other thought is to take a 12 inch round pipe and weld a plate on the bottom. keep puring in molten cast iron in in small batches till is full. machine off the end and then cap with a plate. it should work and junk cast to melt is east to get. fuel dosent cost much either as I burn waste oil.

i am sure a solution will present itself.

you can find a basic hammer plans by googleing KRUSTEY I cant recall if I also used "power hammer" in the text the plans are free
they are in metric the KROMM steal works are in Germany I think but plans are good it uses steel pipe for anvil leg I'm in the process of building it with a few mods the tube I will fill with sand tap down till solid weld as per instructions the main column is two I bars welded together and filled with sand I would personally dig a hole (see next post). the other mod I'm going to make is the connecting rod to the toggle youll under stand when you have plans to you's an ol buggy spring to absorb some of the shock I'll be using a front prime mover leaf spring I'll have to get it straightened of course you should be able to pick up from a truck mechanic. the anvil well rail can be good but if you need to change it well.

first off health and safety blah blah blah certain ranges of vibrations over extended time periods is not good fr your health! yes even small ones O.H.S 3rd edition. should be on net some where. in order to suppress vibrations, installations should be deep and massive foundations laid below the foundations of the building separated from all structural components. so mount your hammer on a suitably sized and reinforced concrete foundation and anti vibration mat. mat must go between hammer and foundation and base so b loads of concrete boys the pit should be a aprox 8" larger than the foundation block. the walls and floor of the pit should be sufficiently thick and reinforced to be strong enough to cope with the dead weight plus live loads the base mat needs to be rated at the weight of block + hammer. well it's a very cut down version but I hope it helps.
you can also cast in hold down bolts. the block should be cast out of pit (and a tip cast in lifting hooks) as ropes are hard to get out under a block that weighs 700 kgs +

the issue with hammers jumping around is because of not sufficient anti vibration mat a 51 kg pneumatic hammer sits on 40mm or 1 3/4 aprox rubber mat atop a 1 1/4 steel plate so if you have a concrete floor use mat. 20 mpa is a little weak for concrete 25 mpa is better

My old boss I had when I served my apprenticeship told me of a hammer he and his mate made at the old railway workshops here in Newcastle as a foreign order. They made the anvil out of sleeper plates all welded together, stacked on top of each other. That had to be about 60 years ago, and as far as I know that hammer is still going.

The tup was also made at the same place and was carried out of the workshops and home to his mums place strapped to the cross bar of his push bike, with both of them taking turns pushing it along the road, home was about 10 miles I guess. The hammer was erected in his mums back yard.

The tup is traditionally the bit that goes up and down, but the hammer is rated on the dead weight of the falling parts this would include the tup, the die, the key, rings or bearings etc.

Phil

got to convert from pdf to something readable for imageshack hope that's how you guys post photos not going so well.
I up loaded it to my e mail https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B0FNKEkKpHjxZGI1MDJlZjMtZmFiNi00ZTJiLTkxYjEtN2Y5MmUzNWRhNTU3&hl=en&authkey=CKGjj9UP

All,

This might be the site for the european krusty plans. http://www.ferrumdg.com/ You have to dig down through the blacksmithing section into the know how section. I downloaded the plans a couple of years ago with intentions of building this. I sent these to woodshoprat already but they seem complete.

EDIT: I take that back. I found the same plans on several sites with several different names on them. Same plans as the one site.

Brian Pierson

You may want to consider finding a Little Giant or other older power hammer, if you look around you may find one for a reasonable price. You will be money a head in the long run, unless you can get your metal for free. The scrap prices here are in the .40 to .45 cents a pound range, your 1000 pound anvil @ .40= $400. The time you spend building a hammer ? probably take 300- 400 hrs for me to build. If I could find a working hammer for $2000- $3000 price range I would be money a head and have something that is proven to work with no tinkering and trial and error.

I totally agree a proper one is best but some of us are a little unlucky to not have hammer resources available I have only ever seen one pneumatic 135 kg 170 blows per minute P.O.A. back in 98 haven't seen one since think building one is a little quicker.

Ok here is proof that this is not rocket sience. Honestly I would even be happy with this hammer. It would be even coolor in the fact it is water powered. How cool is that? them old times knew far more than we know i bet.

Heres what a properly built appalachian hammer can do..Though to buy the ammount of steel in this hammer would be expensive..Thats why our appalachian hammer has a hollow filled anvil..We havent been able to find an appropriate piece of steel for a proper anvil yet.. Ill replace the hollow filled one when I do..

Heres what a properly built appalachian hammer can do..Though to buy the ammount of steel in this hammer would be expensive..Thats why our appalachian hammer has a hollow filled anvil..We havent been able to find an appropriate piece of steel for a proper anvil yet.. Ill replace the hollow filled one when I do..

yea i seen that one and its pretty impressive. I thought your anvil was a welded together assy of large flat stock? anyhow it sure runs good. It would be nice to have a little beter vid of the workings of it and not so much of working it lol. anyhow that one sure dosent suffer that junk yard jump lol.

I was thinking aobut it today and if i did the 12 inch pipe filled with cast anvil i could use slugs of old axle shafts and whatever large pieces of ? so i didnt have to pour as much cast. I am thinking that is gona be real doable and far cheaper than buying a 12 inch dia round.

Hey could you post some good pics of you ram ways? i know how much a ram weighs and its about 150 bahhhh lbs lol no i mean ram ways lol

The time you spend building a hammer ? probably take 300- 400 hrs for me to build.

But for me that was part of the fun - being able to build something, have it work, and then use it. Sure it took time to build, but hey sometimes we don't need everything "right now".

a rail car Boigie axial should be bout that if you have a loco works handy probably have a mountain of em a tractor axial should be hardened may be truck axial or perhaps drive shaft from a large gearbox

a rail car Boigie axial should be bout that if you have a loco works handy probably have a mountain of em a tractor axial should be hardened may be truck axial or perhaps drive shaft from a large gearbox

Ok theres the rail car axle reference again. How does one go about getting a rail car axle from the rail yard? I would think thats gona be pretty hard as most rail roads really dont deal open to the public like that. its not like ya just walk in off the street and say hey could i get a rail car axle and they say sure back over here and well load it up. most everything in a railraod as far as salvage is already under a salvage contract and hard as hell to get. Im sure there is a way but hell if i know.

The time you spend building a hammer ? probably take 300- 400 hrs for me to build

Yea it would probably take me about that long. mainly cause listning to the radio and staring out the garage door to a excellent view of my area and drinking some whiskey and sody pop mix get in the way of progress.

being here in baton rouge, big oils backyard i have access to the kind of scrap that yankee farm boys can only dream about, too often , the question is my truck able to carry this? only knowing what is available to me i will tell you how to accumulate some HEROIC pieces of steel. heat exchanger shops cut big round circles out of two and three inch thick steel these big circles a yard across leave such nice "skeletons" these skeleton pieces have a right angle and a radius cut stand one up and an anvil becomes visible the hammer can grow from the end away from you and a lot of work is already done for you , in aother post i will tell about my table i call rosebud it is eight feet x eight feet and two and one quarter inches thick, 5,880 lbs of battleship armor. why rosebud ? you can burn up steel on one side and the other side will be only warm to the touch,

in reference to rail yard you could call them and ask for the shop foreman he may help or at least give the name of contractor and give theme a call. I have read that the author of those plans was nearly killed by the machine and that's why they got pulled. if it were me I would have put up a warning and described the problem so as others could work around it or solve the problem

Ok heres the lowdown on rail yards. Question: does anyone know who the largest scrap corporation in the united states is? Answer: Burlington northern railroad. so you see they do NOT sell scrap to the public. I dont have to call and look like an idiot as I know this for a fact. I am friends with the railmaster here in spfd mo. Railroads scrap all thier own stuff. It is ALL under contract to go to a salvage yard. The salvage yard wants the railroad to not sell to the public as they have already purchased a contract to buy all the railroad has. therefore the railroad is under contract and obligated by contract to not sell to the public. Ok when the railroad takes an axle set off and sends it to the salvage yards they are stamped right on them NOT TO BE SOLD!!!! Why??? Because they are CONDEMED and are to be made sure as to be destroyed and no possible way that they will resurface on another train as per contract.

There very well may be someone that had gotten a chunk of railcar axle but it is my strong thought that if they did it was aquired under less than honest conditions. at least in the united states anyhow.

Also I strongly urge anyone that thinks they can walk a rail line and pick up spikes to forge and or pick up tie plates or pick up chunks of rail and they are free for the taking strongly think about what they are doing. By doing this it is very possible to end up into some serious shiat. the railroad WILL NOT let you up either as they are in the scrap business and take it VERY VERY seriosly.

I really dont want to hear anyone else mention the railcar axle unless they can back it up with directions on how to LEAGALLY purchase this item ok? Sorry hate to get pissy bout that but its one thing to say it and another to back it up.

course that is just the burlington northern and is the only RR here in spfd. there may be others that sell this but doubtfull as there is a huge liability issue and the RRs want to make sure these items are destroyed. again please dont mention it unless you know for sure where to purchase this leagally please.

400 hrs! If your time is worth a paltry $20 an hr, It would be worth $8,000, plus matieral .......I don't see the incentive...........mb

yea but where can i get a job for $20 an hour staring out the shop door drinking whiskey and coke? If you know where then im there man lol

Ok i have time in abundance. I dont have money. no money= sol or time spent.