I Forge Iron

2011 Spur Off

joshua.M

So some of the guys in the chat have been talking about making spurs, so we had an idea. We are hoping to have the first international "spur off" the rules are simple power hammer, fly press are ok, all forge work no casting, use the tools you have, any stock you want to use, any technique, anyone can give suggestions to help as long as you do the forge work,picks will be sent to admin, and uploaded to the thread with a number, you write the number you want to vote for, there will be some hold backs until it will start so do your research and practise. Please let us know if you are interested, so we can figure numbers, the entry and submission is FREE so just make them on your dime there is no charge for the contest
-Josh

Great idea but to limit tools is going to leave many folks behind, If someone with out a forge can use a torch and make a set, or cold cut and make a set, they should be include,,"run wot ya brung" Simply put a contest like this should have few rules and some kind of guidelines for how the spurs will be judged. Like do the fit a boot? are they humane? are they crafty? Do we have to stay along traditional lines or can we go back to early Callifornia or Texas patterms? How about art fantasy styles? How are folks going to judge? wot if someone makes a great set but not so good on the pics? This idea needs some work..

that is part of the reason there is practise time, by saying "use what you have" we meant "dont stress about the fact that they are you need 10million tools to do it" cold cut and torch idea was removed and is now allowed, these are more guidelines than hard set rules, they are to fit the boot, the style must be humaine and functional, design is up to you, folks will judje by voting using the number posted with the picture, these will be taqllyed and a winner will be selected and tallyed the winner will be given bragging rights, pics are an issue that needs to be dicussed publicly

I like the idea! I have never made a pair of spurs. My wife is a rider though and I am sure that she would like to have some that I have made. I would be interested in making an entry. I want to make my own rowels too. I'd like to see info on how people have made rowels if anyone has links or experience to share. I have some ideas but could always use more!

Will it include the leather? Can there be any store-bought items such as rowels, swingers or jingle bobs? Is there any sort of time line discussed yet by the organizers?
Heck, I'm in regardless. I've made tons and tons of spurs (well, ok, I think about 5 or 6 pair over 10 years) but I think it would be fun, especially the embellishment part.
Now personally, I'm wondering if there should be two catagories, one being rasp, and the other non-rasp. Anyway, just my thinking. Looking forward to this!

We have an idea that we need some kinnks that need to be worked out, but we are hoping to have some of the spurd donated to a silent auction to raise funds for this amazing site. Donating your spurs will not be required but if you can it would be greatly appreciated, this is still just an idea.
-Josh

Great idea, i hope larry fuegen doesn't show up, if he does we are all done for! His stuff is fan-frickin-tastic!

That's no S#!T, it would be fun, I'm thinking a brief narrative of the construction as well, giving a judge an idea of great work-minimal tools versus all the power tools and minimal work.

Hey Mike, did you see the rattlesnake spurs Larry made? Those things are unbelievable. He has done a few wip's at the bit and spur forum, i learned a lot! Guys, count me in, i will make a pair and donate them for the auction. I just hope we get a decent amount of time since i am a weekend warrior.

Hey Mike, did you see the rattlesnake spurs Larry made? Those things are unbelievable. He has done a few wip's at the bit and spur forum, i learned a lot! Guys, count me in, i will make a pair and donate them for the auction. I just hope we get a decent amount of time since i am a weekend warrior.

Yes I did see them. His damascus spurs on his web site are amazing enough. I spoke with another blacksmith last night regarding making a monkey tool for the tenon/mortice joint for building the californio style like the Garcia spurs are/were made. I haven't tried that yet. I am like you, I do it on the weekends, as well as rawhide braiding, horseshoeing, and way too many extracarriculars that my wife complains about. I met a spur maker in a couple weeks ago that puts over 200 hours into one pair, lots of carved silver work. The most time I've taken on a pair is about 8 hours. I think rules for this contest should be established regarding tools used. This is a blacksmithing forum, therefore limit the tools, just my not so humble opinion. Meaning, eilinate the water and plasma cutters.

Just out of curiosity, would cast buttons or rowels be okay, or do they have to be completely by hammer, chisel, and tong?

they must be forged, they are not hard to make, rowel is round stock cisled, buttons are made like rivets

Yes I did see them. His damascus spurs on his web site are amazing enough. I spoke with another blacksmith last night regarding making a monkey tool for the tenon/mortice joint for building the californio style like the Garcia spurs are/were made. I haven't tried that yet. I am like you, I do it on the weekends, as well as rawhide braiding, horseshoeing, and way too many extracarriculars that my wife complains about. I met a spur maker in a couple weeks ago that puts over 200 hours into one pair, lots of carved silver work. The most time I've taken on a pair is about 8 hours. I think rules for this contest should be established regarding tools used. This is a blacksmithing forum, therefore limit the tools, just my not so humble opinion. Meaning, eilinate the water and plasma cutters.

plasma and watercutters are not alllows but O/A torches are

I just got back from the iron pour at Mesalands Community College in Tucumcari, NM and as a part of the Farrier Arts program they are going to a week long intensive class on spur making in June this year. The kids there are sure making some fancy spurs. They make all of the parts except for the leather parts I think. They have a pretty good shop there too. Check it out at http://www.mesalands.edu/ Ralph Lopez will be the instructor. While you're out in New Mexico go see Thomas. :P