I Forge Iron

I tried to pick this up.....

......But failed. It eventually took two of us to load it, and my van was creaking under the weight, but it's now home; my new (to me at least!) #455 Peter Wright.

imgp3084l.jpg
imgp3080z.jpg

The markings aren't too clear, but they read 'Peter Wright......Patent......England.......Solid Wrought'
The number stamping reads 4-0-7 rolling in at #455.

It rings loudly when hammering steel, so I proposed to either mount it on a trunk and sell the stand or wrap chain around the anvil and use a combination of lead and silicone under the feet to assist in deadening the sound. My other Peter Wright was deadened nicely by mounting on a stump, so I'll have to see if my forester friend will find me a trunk cutting.

I understand that this anvil came from a decorative ironwork forge near Birkenhead on the Wirral; the other side of the Mersey estuary to Liverpool. It appears to be a post-1910 production (unless someone can shed more light on the markings and age.....please do!) and probably had a hard life prior to being used in the Birkenhead forge and may have been used by a toolsmith or bladesmith judging by the chiselmarks!

It'll be my primary user, that's for sure!

Very nice! Go to the farm store and acquire a couple of "cow magnets" and put them under the tail of the anvil. The magnets will absorb the vibrations from the anvil and quiet it nicely. Cow magnets are magnets that farmers use to keep metal objects that a cow might pick up in the field from floating around inside their stomachs.

Nice! It's almost the identical twin to mine!

I hear that there's quite a few big Peter Wrights over in the US and Canada, but I rarely see them over here, which is weird considering they were made less than 50 miles from where I am now. I didn't even realise I'd bought a 4cwt until I got home and applied the brush to the side. Needless to say I was dancing around the forge like a lunatic!

Wow!! That thing is WICKED!! :) If you want to reduce some ring without changing the "street appeal" you can put a piece of plywood between the anvil and base. Works for my 150# Trenton anyway post-38-0-96204100-1299443626_thumb.jpg

Cheers Dodge. I reckon a sheet of ply will do the trick!

Very nice! Go to the farm store and acquire a couple of "cow magnets" and put them under the tail of the anvil. The magnets will absorb the vibrations from the anvil and quiet it nicely. Cow magnets are magnets that farmers use to keep metal objects that a cow might pick up in the field from floating around inside their stomachs.

Cow Magnets! I've a friend who's a dairy farmer. I'll have to tap him up to see if he can get me a couple. Many thanks for the tip!

D

Keep the stand! Definitely adds to the package!

:o ... WOW.

Definitely keep the stand.

It's mass will add to the mass of the anvil and even add to the rebound ( ... not that you would worry about losing too much rebound from a 455lb anvil anyway)

Dodge had the right of it - a piece of 3/4" plywood cut to fit should work like a treat.

Even some pieces of sheet lead under the feet should work great - they would also mold to the contours of any irregularities between the underside of the anvil and the anvil base itself and compensate for any wobble (if there was any) without having to flip that monster over and grind surfaces flat.

Congratulations on a great score ... and don't worry, every blacksmith dances around their anvil at least once, some just won't admit it ...;)

Very nice, great condition Silver Hill!
I had a 410 lb PW that came out of the railway repair shop in Brainerd, Minnesota that was really beat up but still functional. When I sold it (too big for my garage smithy) it took the two of us 1/2 hour to load it into a pickup truck, darn near dropped it a couple times!.

• 3 weeks later...

......But failed. It eventually took two of us to load it, and my van was creaking under the weight, but it's now home; my new (to me at least!) #455 Peter Wright.

imgp3084l.jpg
imgp3080z.jpg

The markings aren't too clear, but they read 'Peter Wright......Patent......England.......Solid Wrought'
The number stamping reads 4-0-7 rolling in at #455.

It rings loudly when hammering steel, so I proposed to either mount it on a trunk and sell the stand or wrap chain around the anvil and use a combination of lead and silicone under the feet to assist in deadening the sound. My other Peter Wright was deadened nicely by mounting on a stump, so I'll have to see if my forester friend will find me a trunk cutting.

I understand that this anvil came from a decorative ironwork forge near Birkenhead on the Wirral; the other side of the Mersey estuary to Liverpool. It appears to be a post-1910 production (unless someone can shed more light on the markings and age.....please do!) and probably had a hard life prior to being used in the Birkenhead forge and may have been used by a toolsmith or bladesmith judging by the chiselmarks!

It'll be my primary user, that's for sure!