I Forge Iron

Cliff Carroll Anvils

I'm just getting started and am short of money. I do not intend to do big projects: mostly leaves, flowers, candlesticks, and stuff of that size. The Cliff Carroll Anvils that are available (125lb) would do and is reasonably priced but I have never touched one. Are they any good? I live in NC. Thanks

Cliff Carroll anvils are more made and designed for farriers. They will work for blacksmithing, but if you look at the shape of the horn, the shape of the heel of the anvil you will notice they are different than most. The heel is very rounded as not to make marks on the inside of the horseshoes. I think you would be better served to look for a more "smith" type of anvil. Being a professional farrier, I hope this helps. Also I would look at this site, talk to some more members and get their opion. Many factors come into play - how much you got to spend, how big do you want, what you going to do? Also check out the thread:

Lots of good advice there.

I'm just getting started and am short of money. I do not intend to do big projects: mostly leaves, flowers, candlesticks, and stuff of that size. The Cliff Carroll Anvils that are available (125lb) would do and is reasonably priced but I have never touched one. Are they any good? I live in NC. Thanks

• 2 years later...

Have had Cliff's 125lb anvil for some time - works great! 

Picked mine up at his shop there in Larkspur, CO and saw how he does the hardening, finishing etc....about the nicest guy you'll meet.

I use mine for light blacksmithing - easy to transport (which I do for demos) and a great all-around anvil.

Where are you in NC? There is an anvil dealer in Pageland SC who has all kinds of used anvils. He buys and sells, and advertises on Craig's list. He is not cheap, but he is reasonable.

NC Tool also sells new gas forges and farrier anvils.

I second this! I bought my first anvil from him.