I Forge Iron

How Did Fisher Fuse

Did reading the various Fisher patents mentioned in Anvils in America answer any of these questions?

As for other types of metal lamination---Pattern welding comes to mind.

I don't have a copy of Anvils in America.

Well yes - Pattern welding. But I was thinking of pattern welding being in a class of it's own. I do know that old wood working tools often were forged from mild steel with forge welded high carbon steel inserts at the cutting edges. The cutting edges of axes were frequently forged with edge inserts. I guess steel faces forge welded to wrought iron bodies and shear blades are the other examples of true laminating that I can think of.

Today examples range from armor plate to cooking pots and on to bimetal saw blades, electric switch components,

Is this your homework or something?

Here's one of Fisher's patents: http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPATRE227&id=ilkqAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4&dq=october+16+1847#v=onepage&q&f=false

Thanks Matt. Elegantly simple solution

Remember patents are often worded to *HIDE* critical information and a description may be simple for a process that's not!

I've had so many people come up to my forge and say "so all you have to do to do pattern welding is to heat it up and hit it---right?" To which I generally answer "Yes, like all you have to do to win a formula one race is to get in a car and drive fast"