I Forge Iron

Damascus Fighting knife WIP

Phillip Patton

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow! so so cool. beautiful - thanks for all the photos:)

You're welcome. Thanks everyone for your comments!

Here's what I've got done so far today:

Hand sanded the blade to 400 grit:

22811-1.jpg

22811-2.jpg

Here it is after etching for 10 minutes:

22811-3.jpg

Then I sand the blade with 800 grit paper:

22811-4.jpg

Then etch 10 more minutes and sand with 1000 grit paper:

22811-5.jpg

Ok, I etched the blade a total of three times for 10 minutes each. After the third etch, I rubbed the blade with the used 1000 grit paper from before, and then buffed it very carefully with green compound. It's easy to wash out the grind lines with the buffer. Also, the buffing compound tends to stick to a cold blade, so I warmed it (the blade) up on my wood stove first.

It turned out pretty well. The buffer really brings out the chatoyance:

3111-1.jpg

After cleaning the compound off with Goo Gone, I lightly oil the blade and then wrap with electricians tape:

3111-2.jpg

Now for fitting the guard. I'm using 416 for this one:

3111-3.jpg

I grind it clean and flat on the disc sander, then coat one side with layout dye, then lay out the holes that will start the slot:

3111-5.jpg

Holes drilled:

3111-6.jpg

Webbing removed with a round file:

3111-7.jpg

Squaring up the slot:

3111-8.jpg

Just about there:

3111-9.jpg

Close enough:

3111-10.jpg

Now I peen the edges of the slot. This guarantees a tight, gap free fit.

3111-11.jpg

I hammer the guard against the shoulders, and file off any material the keeps it from seating:

3111-12.jpg

Now I lay out a couple lines which will help me keep everything symmetrical as I shape the guard:

3111-13.jpg

I use a washer to make the round lines at the ends of the guard:

3111-14.jpg

3111-15.jpg

The lines are just guides though. I grind it until it looks right. It'll be shaped more after the handle block is attached.

3111-17.jpg

3111-18.jpg

Now I draw in the approximate location of the curves of the "wings". Again, more will be removed later, but I like to take most of it off now because hogging generates a lot of heat.

3111-19.jpg

3111-20.jpg

3111-21.jpg

3111-22.jpg

Now I grind the "face" of the guard clean, sand it to 240 grit, then finish it with a Scotchbrite belt:

3111-23.jpg

Now I grind the corners of the tang round, and soften it with the torch so I can drill through it later:

3111-24.jpg

After it cools, I clean the tang with acetone, and mix up some J-B Kwik:

3111-25.jpg

After cleaning the excess off:

3111-26.jpg

After all that, I decided I wasn't happy with the fit of the guard, (actually, there was a ding on one of the edges of the slot) so I pulled it off before the J-B Weld could set up. I'll clean everything up and fix it after lunch. ;)

3111-27.jpg

Well, I got the guard re-fitted. It's now as close to perfect as I can get it. If it looks like there's gaps, it's just the damascus pattern on the ricasso.

3111-29.jpg

3111-30.jpg

After letting the J-B Weld harden for a half hour or so, it's time to take the guard clamping jig off and start fitting the handle.

First I cut the end of the block to the correct angle. The surface exposed by cutting had some voids. I hope they don't get bigger....

3111-32.jpg

Then I drew the pattern of the handle onto the block of ironwood:

3111-31.jpg

Then drew the outline of the tang in the correct location:

3111-33.jpg

Then transfer the lines to the end and draw a centerline. Then locate the three holes that will be drilled to make the slot:

3111-34.jpg

Mark the holes with a punch:

3111-35.jpg

Then drill them:

3111-36.jpg

After letting the epoxy cure overnight, it's time to shape the handle profile. I do this before drilling the pin hole, because it's easier for me to get the pin perfectly centered on the handle after the handle is shaped.

I normally use my wood cutting bandsaw to remove the bulk of material, but the drive belt broke this morning, and I didn't feel like replacing it. So, I used the belt grinder instead:

3211-1.jpg

3211-2.jpg

Now I drill the pin hole. I usually use 3/16" pin stock, but decided to do something different this time and use 3/32".

First I drill a 1/16" hole:

3211-3.jpg

Then 5/64":

3211-4.jpg

Then 3/32":

3211-5.jpg

Here's the pin, cut to length and roughed up on the grinder:

3211-6.jpg

I used Crazy glue to glue the pin in. Sometimes I use 5 minute epoxy, and I've also used Gorilla Glue. They all work, but I used CA this time because it's fast.

3211-7.jpg

Here I'm marking some guide lines all around the handle. I got this idea from a recent thread of Nick Wheelers, though my setup is not as slick as his. ;)

3211-8.jpg

3211-9.jpg

Well, you will wait no more. :D

3211-21.jpg

3211-22.jpg

3211-23.jpg

3211-24.jpg

3211-25.jpg

3211-26.jpg

A higher resolution version of the first shot:

I usually get my ironwood from Texas knife supply, and that's where this came from. Sometime if I'm looking for some really big pieces, I go directly to the source: http://arizonaironwood.com/

Thanks for this thread! Your workmanship is awesome and that you where willing to stop and take so many pics is really cool. The blade is amazing and the handle screams "pick me up". If I made that I could die a happy man! Well done.

I agree, that is one of the most beautiful Blades i have ever seen. One day i hope to have the skill to make something of similar quality. but you know what they say. practice makes perfect, and you obviously have had lots of practice to make a blade that pretty.