I Forge Iron

December 7

Brian C.

Read in the paper today that they are expecting around 500 of the original survivors to be there today. This is the last reunion they plan to have as they are in their 80's and 90's now and since it is every 5 years they don't think any will be around for the 70th.

GOD bless them and any of you reading this who have served and are serving.

To me Pearl Harbor has a special meaning, partially due to my wife being Japanese.

I reminds me that people make mistakes and mistreat people, especially in war.

Mostly when I think of this, I am reminded of how the Settlers in America did as bad or worse when they took the land from the Indians. The settlers were no better nor worse than the Japanese in this regard.

It also reminds me how the settlers took land away and ran off the Mexicans from California.

Mostly it reminds me that people are human, and humans have a chance to error where a decision needs to be made. The very fact that none of us are perfect and that any single one of us can made a bad decision is something none of us should forget.

"Pearl Harbor, what a shame, the very early start of the government wasting lives for useless reasons."

If you think responding in kind after being attacked is wasting lives then I feel sorry for you.

I feel that the government LETTING it happen, just so we could have a reason to enter the war in the Pacific was wrong.

Just so we have the shoe on the right foot, we were attacked in Pearl Harbor Hawaii by the Japanese Navy on Dec 7 1941. Attacked. Perhaps having the Government allow this to happen is a paragraph I missed. Just as we were attacked on 9-11. No conjecture, no second guessing. Attacked. This will perhaps be a thread that will cause problems but facts are facts. I wish no problems. There is no middle ground or room for arguement in my opinion.

I feel that the government LETTING it happen, just so we could have a reason to enter the war in the Pacific was wrong.

It is easier in hindsight to see the critical facts which were missed at the time. It seems so obvious now to us that certain information should have been payed attention to, and possibly the loss of life could have been avoided. You must remember that there is and was a sea of information out there and picking out the critical facts out of that morass of useless junk can be quite an undertaking.

The fact that it happened was for political and trade reasons which may or may not been able to be avoided. Remember most eyes were looking to Europe at that time for there was a war going on there. So the bulk of the intelligence effort would have been directed the other way round the world.

Bless those whom have given their lives so we can be free.

I absolutely don't believe political commentary belongs on this site.

Mark