I Forge Iron

making tongs, what to use for rivets

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very Nice!

Just a note, if you use a small ox/acetl torch and hold it parallel to your wood, you can heat only the rivit without scorching your woodwork. even the straps wont get hot. A cold rivit may be good enough, but a hot rivit is a better rivit. 

Why not just heat the end of a heavy piece of steel and apply the tapered end to the rivet. Heat transfer should warm the rivet nicely.  Think old time soldering irons.

Make test pieces to test the various techniques rather than risk ANY saddle. 

Were it me I'd use a torch to spot heat the end of a rivet rather than a heated punch as suggested. A small tip torch will bring the end of the rivet to heat in a second or two minimizing how much will conduct into section of rivet in the pieces being joined.

A hot punch must transfer heat to the rivet through contact conduction giving much more time for it to heat through the rivet shank. 

I'm glad you joined the gang, I didn't know ANYTHING about sidesaddles till you showed up. Talking horses and riding brings back fond memories.

Frosty The Lucky.

It could also be an interesting experiment to try some kind of thin heat-resistant shield. For example, a square of thin titanium (which conducts heat rather slowly) with a hole in the middle could be slipped over the rivet end, the rivet heated with a sideways-pointing torch, the shield removed, and the rivet hammered down.