I Forge Iron

And you Think anvils are High!

I've got to say that really doesn't surprise me much. There are quite a few people out there who expect new prices for their used modern tools, so if something might be a true antique it should be worth a lot more right? That ladle sure has a lot of rust, so it must be old and maybe even made by a blacksmith.

I'm amazed, but usually not shocked, that people still believe the economy doesn't have any bearing on the price of something like this. I guess this would be a good example: Used Butcher Knife Craig's List has a little higher price point than ebay, but you don't usually have to pay shipping, insurance, and a premium for a box.

I've seen these for free at yard sales, and for $20.00 or less in a little better condition than the one this guy is trying to sell. Most of them good American made steel.

Used to be that un-informed sellers had to guess at a price for items---sometimes they went high and sometimes they went low. Nowadays they "research" them on the web and see a high asking price and so go with it even if theirs is not really comparable or not noticing that it doesn't *sell* at that price.

I've had a couple of folks contact me after they have tried to sell something at an exaggerated price wanting to sell it to me for a substantial discount---usually only twice as much as it's worth compared to the 4 times they started with...

Studying the tulip bubble of 1637 gives one a good insight on how people can "talk up" prices on items far past their "intrinsic worth".

I looked at the ladle and I would agree that it is pricy for something to hang on the wall. But I also thought if a customer came to me and asked me to make him a couple, I would be charging more than the ebay seller. It is 49" long so that ladle is fairly large. I have made industrial ladles with bowls slightly larger than that.

and u think that is overpriced...take a look at this one.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/tls/2205804162.html

Just wow

I'm only going to say that it must be a "where you live" type of thing. That would be a good deal here in Vermont.

Back to the ladle though, I wanted to buy 2 small ladles last fall from a guy selling a lot of tools from a former plumbing/custom shop that he had owned, but he had 3 and he wouldn't let them go for less than $50.00. I wanted just the 2 ladles and one casting pot and I offered him the same money for that group, but he would only sell the ladles together and he wanted $30.00 for just the small casting pot. No sale.

I looked at the ladle and I would agree that it is pricy for something to hang on the wall. But I also thought if a customer came to me and asked me to make him a couple, I would be charging more than the ebay seller. It is 49" long so that ladle is fairly large. I have made industrial ladles with bowls slightly larger than that.

I have made ladles, granted they didn't have a 49" handle, and was making $$ selling them at $40.00ea. They hold 1 cup so can be used as a measuring cup as well. And I'll make more for $40.00 and smile all the way to the bank. takes about 30min to do one. They really aren't hard to make and kinda fun too.

I just scaled the picture that is an approximately 11" dia ladle, the wall is probably at least 3/16" . That is a whole different ball game than a 1 cup ladle. After you make a deep ladle that sized with an integral handle you will think $225 is cheap.

I just scaled the picture that is an approximately 11" dia ladle, the wall is probably at least 3/16" . That is a whole different ball game than a 1 cup ladle. After you make a deep ladle that sized with an integral handle you will think $225 is cheap.

I didn't go to all that trouble of scaling the pics. My opinion, it's high dollar. Although I will most likely never make one of the size you say it is $225.00 would be a very nice price, even with the integral handle. Again, MY opinion. I have made bowls of that same size dia. and of 3/16"plate. (no handle of course)

About eight years ago one of the men at church died and his daughter came out to empty his house. She never asked for help from anyone at church, just picked up the phone and called a yard clean up and dump service. Well it turned out to be a friend of mine and he parked his dump trailer in my yard to go through the stuff(he did that after every yard clean up. I found half a dozen large pipe wrenches in good condition, caulking chisels, large lead pots and ladles, about a 100# of lead, 75# of brass fittings and valves(maybe more), copper pipe and fittings by the bucket full, just lots of stuff going to the dump. By the time my friend came for his trailer the next day between the plumbing stuff and the antiques I had the trailer half empty. I took the antique stuff to a friend of mines wife to sell, lunch pails from the fifties, Navy uniforms from WWII, old books form the early part of the 20th century, old horse tack, got nearly $200 from her and got another $125 for all of the brass, copper and lead(prices weren't too high then) but the things folk just throw away is amazing. In another trailer load there were two hardly used men's and women's bike made in England, a set of croquet mallets also made in England, some English made silver plate tea service, flat ware, bone china setting made by Wedgwood, still packed up from a move, lots of nick knacks, and three boxes of quality tools, my buddy and I split those up. The things folk just send to the dump. We got over $700 just for the Wedgwood alone. One man's trash another man's treasure. :)

I have noticed in my part of the country, that since some of the shows like american picker, and pawns pros, have come on that just about everyone thinks they have a priceless artifact hanging around the old milking parlor. Some Im sure do, but the price of good old junk has gone way up. I did luck into a heck of a deal the other day though, well atleast I think it was.......... I got five old 10lb sledge heads, two axe heads, and a wooden ammo crate with around seventy old railroad spikes for fifty bucks.......... when I was leaving the guys wife said if I like old rusty junk I should grab the old plow parts they had too..... they gave them too me for buying the rest............ I was on cloud nine for two days!!!!

And you thought anvil prices have gone up. Check this one out... http://cgi.ebay.com/Large-Antique-Iron-Smelting-Ladle-Blacksmith-Tool-/230464233913?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35a8bd21b9

Boy you ain't kidding Thomas! Check out the seller's other items listed, is he trying to retire by next week?
I saw a Yeungling beer tray in there that I know goes for $40-$50 tops if it is in mint condition, this guy has one priced in the clouds. Ridiculous.