I Forge Iron

Mighty Proud of it

Just saw this in the Albuquerque NM CL:

ANVIL, 238 lbs, $1200 OR BEST OFFER - (CASH OR CASHIER'S CHECK ONLY) - ARMITAGE MOUSEHOLE PATTERN ANVIL MANUFACTURED IN ENGLAND, PRE-AMERICAN CIVIL WAR. - TOP FACE RE-SURFACED WITH STAINLESS STEEL - FRONT EDGE TOOLED WITH VARIED RADIUS.

about US$5 a pound for a re-worked anvil and stainless so it will not match the pre-us civil war look to boot!

He also wants $250 for a postvise; though I have bought several in that area recently for under $80 I guess he's hoping there's one born every minute...

"Pre-American Civil War" That will draw the collectors out of the woodwork. Or at least those that don't know any better. The stainless re-face kinda negates the whole antique thought.

He's shooting for a non blacksmith to suck(er) it up.

He can keep it. $1200. Oh pick me! Pick me!

Mark<><

ewwwwww I guess its still perfectly usable but to me and im sure many others its just terribly ugly!
http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACKSMITH-ANVIL-TRENTON-205-LB-NICE-PROFESSIONAL-SIZE-/120682860538?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c19424ffa

Ugg on second thought im pretty sure you can see weld bead in the hardy hole, and a large cold lap in the face half an inch back from the step, Maybe he did a good job welding it properly with pre post heat, or maybe he just migged up the face hummmmmm, well certainly the shiniest anvil ive seen

Wonder if he realizes that for a lot of folks grinding it like that lowers the price over just leaving it with the original paint and patina!

At least he didn't paint it---even worse in my book. But that large of a step is a bit worrisome; I sure wouldn't buy it without a ring and ball bearing test!