I Forge Iron

Starting out.

I've gotten into smithing very recently (a few weeks or so), and here's my setup. I'd like to hear comments, things I'm missing, not thinking of, etc. I'm lucky enough to be in the acquaintance of a couple experienced smiths, but I don't see them regularly, and neither have seen my actual set up. So far I've only made a few coat hooks and nails, and poker for my forge, and some other small projects. So I guess my other question is, what are some good starting projects? I have the Complete Modern Blacksmith, and Plain and Ornamental Forging, but my ADD kicks in, and I can't shoulder a rod just to shoulder a rod, though I do my best to work through some of the exercises. Anyways, here's a pic that shows my forge and "anvil" setup. I have a post drill (found in my basement!) and a treadle grinder as well, and I've been surprised at how much I've used the grinder since I dressed the stone.

Edit: The flap seen on the hood has since been cut off, that picture was taken when I was still adjusting my opening size. It drafts well now, though I get an occasional puff of smoke when something flares up on the outer edge of the firepot, or when I heap it too high.

Hey Dan, welcome to IFI. Looks like you are headed in the right direction. I like your RR anvil. That is a good start until you find an anvil.

You are lucky to know some experienced blacksmiths. Glean all the knowledge you can from them and get all you can from IFI. There is an incredible amount of learning to be found here from the masters and those just starting out. Everyone has an opinion here and it is up to you to see which ones you like. Heed the safety warnings as they are usually gained from actual (and sometimes painful) personal experience.

Enjoy your new hobby/habit/obsession/addiction. :D

Mark<><

I've gotten into smithing very recently (a few weeks or so), and here's my setup. I'd like to hear comments, things I'm missing, not thinking of, etc. I'm lucky enough to be in the acquaintance of a couple experienced smiths, but I don't see them regularly, and neither have seen my actual set up. So far I've only made a few coat hooks and nails, and poker for my forge, and some other small projects. So I guess my other question is, what are some good starting projects? I have the Complete Modern Blacksmith, and Plain and Ornamental Forging, but my ADD kicks in, and I can't shoulder a rod just to shoulder a rod, though I do my best to work through some of the exercises. Anyways, here's a pic that shows my forge and "anvil" setup. I have a post drill (found in my basement!) and a treadle grinder as well, and I've been surprised at how much I've used the grinder since I dressed the stone.

Edit: The flap seen on the hood has since been cut off, that picture was taken when I was still adjusting my opening size. It drafts well now, though I get an occasional puff of smoke when something flares up on the outer edge of the firepot, or when I heap it too high.

Looks great to me! Your way ahead of me. I haven't built my forge yet. Just gathering all the pieces. Haven't made a thing yet. Hope to soon!

Jamie

Dan, I'm very new to the site, but just have to tell you that you've made the first really important decision in your blacksmithing career, and that's joining up with this site. There's more information and know-how within the boundrys of this website and it's forumites then you can imagine.
Do like I'm doing and take in as much as you can, and enjoy it all!
I like your setup, and wow, is that ever a BIG smokestack! :P

Welcome aboard Dan, glad to have ya. Joining the local smithing club is a good move too. Being able to figure this stuff out and teach yourself has a lot to say for it but an hour with an experienced smith can save you days or weeks of being your own instructor. Looks like your set up is at the point where you can use it to make nearly whatever else you need; and talk about good practice!B) I don't know if this has been covered in the other thread, "It's good to be a blacksmith because" (or something like that). One of the best things, heck definitive in fact is a blacksmith can literally bootstrap a shop. If you need a thing you can make it. Got all the tongs you need? A pair of plain jane straight bit tongs has quite a number of different processes involved and they come in handy right off even if they don't look so good. Keep your first projects to look at as you progress, you'll get to recall the feelings of making them and get to see empirical evidence of your increased skill. Best of all is you must, simply MUST play with fire and hit things, get dirty, smelly and develop a proper stock yard. Though the wife will most likely call it "junk" and want it out of sight so make her something regularly. Small price, really. ;) Frosty The Lucky.

I haven't tackled tongs from scratch yet, but I did find to old pairs of nips. I worked the smaller pair while still riveted, with a fair amount of success, and got the jaws fairly straight. I heated the larger pair too far though, and when I went to straighten the jaws I sheared the rivet. While this makes working on each jaw easier, now I'm presented with the challenge of making them meet up right when I get them back together. :P Thanks for all the kind words! I've been scouring this forum for about a week now, and I've barely scratched the surface of information here. Hope I can add to that eventually. :)

CO detector! you are in a closed building it is often forgotten but in a small space it is requirement, also some type of fire extinguisher is needed. A 5 gallon bucket of water works better than a commercial extinguisher in many forging related problems but you should have a ABC extinguisher around t deal with unexpected.

Though it may look like a closed building, there's no door, holes in most of the windows, and holes in the windows in the back, that are at ground level. Plus with rafter end ventilation (this used to be a chicken coop), I'm pretty well off in the CO department. A fire extinguisher is a definite must, though. That old hemlock can go up mighty fast! But you're right, once I get the place buttoned up a little better this summer, I'll put a detector in.