I Forge Iron

? on firebricks

Radeo

I am building my first gas forge, but it is deffinately not a permanent one. Up until know I have been forging in a double barrel wood stove. I found some firebrick for lining wood stoves, and was wondering if it would work to make a temporary forge with a 3/4" modified side arm burner, and it will be approx 4 brick long, 1 wide, and then 1 on end for a back. I will not be coating it as the bricks are free leftovers from a friends project. how long could I expect these to last keeping in mind that I wont be using it to weld.

thanx in advance, adam

Realistically anything that gets enough heat is fair game. people have been known to use about anything for heat from corn to diesel. Hard bricks take forever to heat up and some used in fire places are not high quality and at forging temps have a bit shorter life. but as a temporary solution I would use it. Good luck and have fun forging!

You will quickly find that you could have bought new soft firebricks and still come out ahead for the cost of gas and time spent waiting for the hard firebricks to get up to temp. Your forge will also still be a major heat source long after you shut it down with hard firebricks as well.

Now if you are doing "industrial" forging where the mechanical wear and tear on the firebricks is high and the cost of the gas for "pre-heat" is covered by the faster turn around time for stock; it would be a different case.

I use hard firebrick for the floor of my forges; but as splits over kaowool insulation.

Well, I have 4 20# cylinders that are full from when they made the switch to the OPD valves, they were free, and the with the brick being free, i figured it would be worth it to decide if i want to go square or cylinder forge body. Ideally, I have been thinking that I want an upright cylinder with the opening in the side, and the burner lower than the opening. I have been aroung this type before and seemed pretty efficient. yes you have to hold the piece while it heats, but at this point i wouldnt work more than 1 piece at a time anyway