I Forge Iron

socketed spear

Look for *old* windmill shafting that used wooden sections with metal ends that have the screw threads on them. The are generally about the fight size for hafts and have the long metal strips that go down the sides to protect them from being cut by other pole weapons or doppel swords.

I used to find them in old farm scrap piles.

Not good for spears---just for pole weapons!

Robert, you definately have to make it to Aldo's! A great time! Thank you very much, I'll show you a few tricks when we meet.

Ecart, thanks! it's about 14" overall, 7" blade 7" socket or thereabouts. Look back on the first page I have some in process photos they are not too hard, rolling the socket is probably the hardest part.

Robert, you definately have to make it to Aldo's! A great time! Thank you very much, I'll show you a few tricks when we meet.

Ecart, thanks! it's about 14" overall, 7" blade 7" socket or thereabouts. Look back on the first page I have some in process photos they are not too hard, rolling the socket is probably the hardest part.

Sam, sorry for the late response. From what I gather, Aldo is a knifemaker, as well as the NJ steel Baron. So, you've met him? Cool! Aldo's is absolutely on my "to do list". I'm definitely going to accept your offer. I need to forge some tongs, master the "S" hook, nails, etc., so I don't waste your time. Thank you for the generous offer!

My forging configuration has been proceeding so slowly that I made a crudely improvised forge, just to be able to say that I had pounded hot metal. It was a successful failure. But very satisfying. :lol:

It gave me a lot of food for thought. Now, I've almost completed the construction of Japanese box bellows, which if found in the book: The Craft of the Japanese Sword.

Robert

http://www.twinoaksforge.com/BLADSMITHING/BOX%20BELLOWS.HTM

Check that out :D

Yeah Aldo is a knifemaker and the steel baron, and an all around great guy. Don't worry about wasting my time, I can teach you all that stuff in a day or atleast get you headed in the right direction. PM your phone or email and I will give you a heads up next time Aldo's having a shindig.

• 2 weeks later...