I Forge Iron

a vice specific stand!

Since I got my shop up, I have been using a 2'x8' steel table for my vice. I'v got two of these tables. They are light and made more for putting stuff on, not vice work. Little tipsy with a vice mounted on it!

So yesterday and today I spend making a little vice stand. The top plate is 1/4" diamond plate. I didn't want to try to tighten bolts down on diamond plate, so I ran some 3/16" plate underneath. The 3/16" plate is about 3/4 the width of the top plate and just shy of the same length!

I used 2"--1/4" wall pipe for the legs. I had to do the legs in two pieces because I had pipe cut down to like 26" and I needed 29" or 30".

The legs are filled with sand and there is 1/4"x3" flat bar for feet. The back leg has a long piece welded across it with feet for greater strength and stability, once bolted down.

It's got a little tool rack and tool shelf. It is very firm and very solid even though it isn't bolted down yet.

DSC00405.jpg

DSC00406.jpg

DSC00408.jpg

The back leg!
DSC00410.jpg

DSC00409.jpg

Thoughts???

Hey it looks to me like a masterpiece work in progress. Before you know it you will have 42 hammers and 67 tongs hanging around it and you will surely never regret having spent the day or two to put it together. I have two post vises that have been sitting around for a year and I finally just mounted one to my 4' x 5' fixture table. The thing weighs about 1900 lbs, so I don't need to bolt it down, but that post to the ground makes all the difference for sure.

nice work!

I understand leg vises get cut, bent and broken.

Phil

Ehemmm...well...'cough, cough'.... I've got a wee little confessiong to make! B) I cut it off! :rolleyes: I had to, to get it on my demo trailer, and at the time it was the only vice I had. I'll see if I can't hunt up a piece of 7/8" or something to xtend the leg back out!

O nooooooo, without the foot it will brake the mounting bracket after much hammering on, i don't know how you used it on the trailer without a leg anyway, seems like you could have just unbolted it from the mounting bracket and rebolted it any time to got some where and just let the leg rest on a board on the ground

O nooooooo, without the foot it will brake the mounting bracket after much hammering on, i don't know how you used it on the trailer without a leg anyway, seems like you could have just unbolted it from the mounting bracket and rebolted it any time to got some where and just let the leg rest on a board on the ground

Oh it's still got enough of a leg to put support under and everything.

Yea it was a pretty stupid idea looking back on it! Oh well! On thing is, I haven't done a lot of hammering in the vise until now.....just now learned some of the jobs that require a lot of that.

Just weld a piece of angle under as a shelf and a piece of rod or pipe to the floor (or something like that) as an extra leg for the stub leg to sit on, or wrap a strap under the pipe to cradle the leg end. You may want to, eventually at some point, make a shorter table for striking on, and you will need a cut off vise leg to do that with.

Phil