I Forge Iron

Broke My 100# Beaudry today

I broke my power hammer today. It is a 100# Beaudry and I broke one of the spring arms. It cracked at a previously repaired spot. It really sucks I am right in the middle of a big project. I re-welded it and stress relieved it. I hope it holds long enough to finish the project. I do have the press. I like to do some of the finish work on the hammer though. It can get things really smooth and it also helps to seal up any surface imperfections.

Anybody have a spare set of spring arms laying around?? I really doubt I could find some. I did find a company that specializes in Beaudry's but I probably won't hear from them until the AM and they probably want an arm and a leg for them. I also found someone at a blacksmith site that forged a set. I guess I will look at making my own. Oh well I just had to vent a little. Thanks for listening.

I'm curious if there is actually is someone that has a stash of Beaudry parts available. Usually it's a custom machining or forging job using the old/broken or worn out parts as a guide to make a new replacement.

I have a friend that broke one of the spring arms on his 200#. As I recall he welded it back together with stainless rod and it is holding up just fine.

Mine had been repaired once before. Actually both arms are welded and they used nickel rod. It held up for 12 years. I just welded it up with a mig so I'll see how it holds up. Looking at the arms they do not seem too complicated. I have the ability to do both the forging and machining so I hope I can make them up. I did find a company that says they specialize in parts for the Beaudry and other hammers but I have not spoken to them yet. Here is their link http://united.forginghammers.com/

Chuck, Steve Parker forged a new set of arms for Jim Fecteu's Beaudry about two years ago. Jim then had them heat treated by a firm relatively local to him. I don't remember what alloy Steve used but you might contact him to find out and get any tips he has to share. You can probably find Stev'es contact info on the UMBA website or you can contact me and I'll get you in touch. Steve G

Chuck,
It might seem complicated, But it's worth thinking about I live in the southern tip of darkest Africa yet if I have an origional(albeit broken) I can relatively easily make new one.
Firstly find an investment foundry near you that does lost wax castings(industrial not art/jewelry) then make a silicone mould(2 piece) of your orig.

We use Bayer silicone. The reps here are incredibly helpfull(to the point where for one offs they have organized small quantities of just out of date product at bargain prices) i.e. sell before end 2010 would still be ok!

From the weight of your item your foundry will let you know how much wax you need and will sell it to you(it is usually quite inexpensive) then cast your wax orig. keep if cool with icepacks in cooler box and give to investment caster, they coat it with investment, melt out the wax and cast.

Alternatively check out if there are any sand caster near you that do cast iron and they should be able to use your orig. to make a casting.
Best of luck!
Ian

If I recall, Steve used 4140 for Jim's arms. They were forged to rough shape, had the bends pressed into them (hot) under a hydraulic press, then were machined. After all that Jim had them heat treated by these folks http://www.trowandholden.com/ They are the chisel manufacturers that Gensh mentioned.

Chuck,
It might seem complicated, But it's worth thinking about I live in the southern tip of darkest Africa yet if I have an origional(albeit broken) I can relatively easily make new one.
Firstly find an investment foundry near you that does lost wax castings(industrial not art/jewelry) then make a silicone mould(2 piece) of your orig.

We use Bayer silicone. The reps here are incredibly helpfull(to the point where for one offs they have organized small quantities of just out of date product at bargain prices) i.e. sell before end 2010 would still be ok!

From the weight of your item your foundry will let you know how much wax you need and will sell it to you(it is usually quite inexpensive) then cast your wax orig. keep if cool with icepacks in cooler box and give to investment caster, they coat it with investment, melt out the wax and cast.

Alternatively check out if there are any sand caster near you that do cast iron and they should be able to use your orig. to make a casting.
Best of luck!
Ian

Great info for anyone needing cast parts, but these are spring arms. They should be forged from spring steel and heat treated.

Chuck, Sid at Little Giant might know a source. I do know he's rebuilt at least one Beaudry.