I Forge Iron

motorcycle chain hold down tool

glen56

Those that I have seen work well. One end is usually attached semi pemanantly ... the other end has a wieght on it. Once the piece you need to smack is laid on the anvil the timing chain is draped over the work piece and the links allow for a reasonably secure hold down. Regular chain can work also.

I have my anvil rigged with such a chain. I have it attached to a staple driven into the anvil's stump base on one end and since my chain is longish I have not needed to weight it... I just drape it over the metal that I am wanting to chisel or punch and then I have both hands free... one to hold the punch or chisel and the other to hammer with. It needn't totally immobilize the hot iron... just hold it in place while I line up the punch or chisel. After the first strike the chisel or punch can help to hold it in place. I use a large piece of 1/4" angle iron as a cutting table when I am chiseling and bolsters or the hardy hole when punching through.

Hi, It may have been mine you were thinking about.... I have one of these on my big anvil...

mine is attached to the stump on one side of the anvil and the other end has a large square "stirrup" that you place your foot in to hold the chain down securely over the piece you are working... hope these photos help, don't have any of me actually using it, but you should get the idea...

post-1299-0-54550300-1293450653_thumb.jp

post-1299-0-83966800-1293450699_thumb.jp

post-1299-0-78726300-1293450717_thumb.jp

thanks for that, i make a lot of odd shaped things and would be better to hold it firmly,will go to the forge and make something up ,nice looking smithy you have there,will take some pics and send them to the site soon as i figre out how to shrink them down ,cheers ,glen

For the last four years I've been having success with a ~2' length of relatively fine (short links) welded chain from the hardware store.

One end connected to the stump between the anvil's feet on the far side from me, and an 8# sash weight on the near side.

It's an easy pick up, it grips well enough to keep the work from jumping around too much, and I don't need to stand on one foot to use it.

I'm curious to compare conventional link chain to bicycle or motorcycle drive-chain... the ... uh... mono-directionality could be good, could be bad... hmmm.

- Carl