I Forge Iron

Power hammer tooling

Spears

Pictured below are results of an attempt to make forged feathers from .75 wide by .25 thick hot rolled steel using pieces of a file for the final texture die. The round crown dies are used to make the first shape and with the cut off can be done in one heat. The second dies flatten the shape leaving a vein standing up in the middle done in one heat also. The third dies texture the feather to finish on the third heat. Very little hand hammering was required through the 3 stages.

The whole idea stemmed from the thought of cutting a file in half and laying the two halves next to each other. Problem was, no matter which way I flipped and laid the halves together, the grooves of the second half slanted in the same direction. Using a protractor and abrasive saw, I sliced and diced until I ended up with the two pieces shown. At first I avoided welding on the file pieces to try to save heat treat integrity but blocking/wedging up around it with small plates just wasn’t going to work for hammering. I ended up tack welding it quick and ugly and the pieces seem to hold up well squishing steel red hot. I used an unhardened block for the top die in case I happen to “empty” stroke it. After using this 4-5 times it occurred to me that the third step tooling (pieces of a cut up file) could possibly be eliminated if nice straight fine line cuts could be made into the second stage die having the middle groove. With the right tool construction and equipment, one could very possibly have a process for making a feather in just two heats. Spears.
post-9545-0-80431300-1291755139_thumb.jp post-9545-0-37314900-1291755153_thumb.jp post-9545-0-27004700-1291755165_thumb.jp post-9545-0-01035500-1291755181_thumb.jp post-9545-0-25344800-1291755195_thumb.jp post-9545-0-76165800-1291755207_thumb.jp post-9545-0-57973100-1291755221_thumb.jp post-9545-0-94767800-1291755233_thumb.jp post-9545-0-55001100-1291755247_thumb.jp post-9545-0-45777100-1291755259_thumb.jp

Spears I like your style. Nice effect. One idea I am having while looking at your photo's is to forge the raised line in the first step while the parent stock is still a good rectangle so you could use a fence or trough which would make a more defined Rachis (i wiki'ed that, means the spine). You would prolly have to taper the end first. The second step could be to deform into a more irregular (and believable) shape. Maye you could bust out the texture in the same heat. Cool idea, really has a nice look.

CW- I’m glad you enjoyed the pictures. I thought it turned out very well for a process that was a bit unplanned.

Nuge - Sounds like you’ve thought up a good alternate process. They have removed some of the old milling machines out of the tool room where I work so my tinkering is a little more restricted now. I’m fortunate the outcome was as nice as it was for what I used and wow did it make me think! Thank you for your input.

Mr. Dillion – I admire your artwork. All the pictures you’ve posted of your work and equipment are very impressive. Thank you. I’m working on making textures and shapes in hammered steel to fabricate together some wildlife creatures having a realistic look. With the way these feathers turned out, I might try and make a bird of prey. I’m making use of my air hammer as much as possible because you’re correct. I’m going to need a lot of them. I'm glad you enjoyed the pics.

The only other comment I would like to add is, have you considered making a feather blank of thin, flattened
angle iron (ready made raised groove).It works well with leaves, so why not feathers.......just a thought...mb

I thought about that too but the center rib is more prominent on both sides of a feather than a leaf. No reason it wouldn't work, however if you only wanted to display one side of the feather.

Thanks for the comments and ideas folks. I thought I blew it at first because of the overlap strikes having a reverse slant to the feather grain. Turns out, there are some birds with that sort of pattern to their feathers. Either way, it turned out to be a keeper of a tool and further blessed by the fact it was made out of junk I had laying around. A real gain with only a weekend of spent time. The tool changeover and processing can always be improved upon. It's nice to see so many ideas flying for feathers (pun intended). I will continue to document my tooling tryouts whether they do or don't work. My shop is starting to become "tool rich" enough where in a few hours I can bang out a birthday or Christmas gift for someone and not even go to the store. Even though my wife doesn't like to see me give all the stuff away. LOL. Spears.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hey, Spears!

Nice job on the feather experiments.

Really old thread, I know, but am curious if you have done anything else with the ideas?

I am just starting out. Made a few by hand in brass and steel. Love the way they look if you get close. Would rather run 'em through the air hammer, though. My elbows and wrists aren't what they were years ago :)

Dave

My annual update for feathers, Frosty. Keep hoping to find an easier way to ,make gorgeous feathers without beating up my wrists. Can't work for a couple days when I make one by hand. The easier ones don't look as good to me for some reason. I think this die idea could work is done so they look like real feathers :)

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments Windancer.  My entire shop was liquidated and I have relocated to south Alabama.  Due to the cost of owning a home and a workshop, I have retired from my metal art hobby.  I haven't had a computer for awhile so I apologize for not answering.  Relocation went ok and I will be on Iforgeiron from time to time. 

I'm hoping to attend more blacksmithing events than I was able to before and maybe I'll do some smithing at some monthly gatherings.  Thanks for reading.  Spears.