I Forge Iron

"Raising a norman helmet". I think a search on that will give you an idea of what to expect. I honestly haven't paid attention if anyone here makes armor or not. I know a few have come through stating they make chain, I even think there's a blueprint on the easiest way to coil it. As for titanium, it would depend on the grade(about 20 different ones or so) and your supply of it. It's extremely plentiful as a raw material, but for some reason there seems to be a shortage of it processed currently raising the prices. I have a few small plates of it around here that I've yet to take the time to play with. I've also never seen it polished, but for some reason it's stuck in my head that it would not take a shine. It would however, be light and sturdy. You might want to check into the prices of the sheet stock size you'd need and see the prices before you go much further into the idea. I'd say you might want to try working with a cheaper material as well, to get some practice. But this metal behaves a bit differently than most. Good luck with the idea though.

I don't know about how easy it would be to forge titanium, but the cost of materials would kill me. Through Onlinemetals.com, a 3 foot by 4 foot sheet of 1/8 inch sheet is $US 2,000. Not something I'd be willing to pay.

I make chain mail armor in my spare time, which is diminishing since summer ended and I'm back at college. It's not hard, but its very tedious and takes a long time. Since about a year and a half ago, I've managed to get a sheet about 16" by 12", and I'm starting a mail shirt, so I've got a square that goes over my head, which isn't more than three rings wide. Whenever I have time I coil, cut, or weave the rings and do a little more, but to coil, cut, and attach about a 16" length of 4-in-1 rings takes somehting like an hour and a half to two hours.

With regards to the helm, Anvilfire has a handful of videos about armoring that include forging a norse helm. If I remember correctly, the helm is dished out to an extent and then a cone stake is used to finish the top. The smith in the video used a steel cutout of half of the shape of the helm to check for high spots and low spots, and then hammered them down (or up) to flatten the surface.

Well the CP grades forge *MUCH* easier than steel at the same (hot) temperatures. I really have to watch it to preven massive hammer dings from a small light hammer. I hot forge Ti when I have elbow problems as I can use a hammer light enough the elbow doesn't know anythings going on.

*Cold* is a different story. Also Ti absorbs O2 when hot becoming brittle if you let it absorb too much.

Ti is softer than some steels---You can cut it with steel tools. It's advantage for armour is its weight.

Thomas

I've been making maille armour for a while, and have started making plate armour. Check out my gallery for pics of some of my work.

As for a Norman helm, check out Eric Thing's excellent article on anvilfire. Most everything you need to know about raising a helm that you can learn by reading.

As for Ti, it would be interesting as a novelty, but I really think steel or iron would be the best materials to use.