I Forge Iron

Creation, types of steel etc...

First off let me introduce my self to you all, my name is Dillon and i am a brand new prospective blacksmith ( i don't want to call my self one until i have successfully created a piece) in the northeastern/New England area and i have a few questions, i have read pretty much every beginners book i could get my hands on that have to do with the trade its self but i am still a little bewildered about exactly what type of steel to use, i was first thinking that i could/would take a leaf spring, about a 1035, 1040 steel if possible ( which if i remember correctly is about .32-.44 % carbon content), and fold it into roughly the size of a billet could i then work it into a decent size to be able to get a proper axe out of it? or for my first time would it be easier and make more sense for me to just fold it around something and then weld the two sides together? and also, what do i use as a edge?

Welcome Dillon, First if you have never forged before you need to start with some thing easier. Start with a J-hook learn how the metal moves when striking it. Learn to draw out to a fine point, a little scroll work, twisting, up setting, and forge welding. Pretty much learn to do things that are mentioned in all those books you have read. See if there is a Blacksmith organization around your area......theres always a lot of experience in those clubs. Good luck and remember we like to see pictures.

Forge welding is considered an advanced skill so any project that requires it is NOT a beginner's project.

Many leaf springs are 5160---a bit trickier to weld in my opinion and with more carbon than a 1030-1040 steel (which seems awfully low for an ax unless you are doing a migration period version...)

I teach smithing and *everyone* from 8 yearolds to 80 yearolds starts off with a simple S hook.

Also start with a project where you don't have to use tongs---at least to get started!

A leaf spring will work well for an axe/hatchet, and the wrap around method works just fine. The leaf spring itself will hold a great edge if you heat treat it correctly so no need to use something else for the edge.

By the way I agree with what the others said, and as far as my opinion goes I think you ought to play around with mild steel at least a little first, but making your own tools is such a great thing to do early on.

• 2 weeks later...

That would be the smart thing to do. I have seen a few folks try to make more advanced projects, when first starting, and they didn't understand the basics. In a short time they gave up and quit forging. Don't let that happen to you. You can build your skill quickly, if you will spend the time practicing. Walk before you run, I think the saying goes, and you will get addicted to the art in a short time. Good luck and welcome aboard the IFI express. :D