I Forge Iron

beaudry upright-cushioned/ strap hammer

nope... you've never heard of me !! That's 'cause i'm a newbie.... One that really glad to have found you folks. I'm
just about to lay my hands onto this orphan.... but i'd like the opinion of the sages (yer guys, around the round table)
before i commit myself. Searched "lo and behold"... and never found anyone, nor any website, that owns/refers to it.
So... whatdayathink.... ????? (250#, circa 1897, disassembled but cautiously stored, complete with 10hp motor and
jackshaft... just as shown in the photo (but less the A frame for the jackshaft))

post-13931-0-39140800-1289307418_thumb.j

post-13931-0-99623600-1289307457_thumb.j

post-13931-0-03834000-1289307488_thumb.j

The more of Beaudry`s machines I see the more impressed I am.They seem to be simple,robustly built machines made with the operator in mind.
Access to the dies and freedom of movement of the material is several orders of magnitude better with just a simple 90 degree repositioning of the frame.The linkages all seem more user friendly and out of the way of the work and the operator and there`s very little flesh threatening parts moving up and down right in front of the operator`s face.
I can see where these hammers would be favored by the folks working them.
Thanks for sharing the pics.Got more?

Yeahhh... i like this hammer, even though it's slightly on the heavy side of what i was looking for.
I guess i'm just reluctant to break the new floor of my shop to pour a heftier foundation for it, plus
it will kinda take lots of precious floor space.... !! And i wonder how precise/delicate it's "touch" will
be for smaller stuff....
The price ($4K) is OK, since so little seems to be needed to get it running right. But then, by the time
i add all the work (concrete, floor plate, A-frame, electrics (just found out that it's a 575V 3-phase),
transportation,etc) it's going to cost me closer to $7K. In the range of a smaller Ironkiss.... but that's
not the same machine. I like mechanicals.....
I saw pics of Kevin's hammer, and it's a Bradley. Same design, but different company. And smaller...
I'll try to contact him anyway...
I was hoping to find someone with such a hammer to stop buy and look and talk about in December,
when i'll drive down to Mexico.
I'll send pics of it as soon as i can.....

Yeahhh... i like this hammer, even though it's slightly on the heavy side of what i was looking for.
I guess i'm just reluctant to break the new floor of my shop to pour a heftier foundation for it, plus
it will kinda take lots of precious floor space.... !! And i wonder how precise/delicate it's "touch" will
be for smaller stuff....
The price ($4K) is OK, since so little seems to be needed to get it running right. But then, by the time
i add all the work (concrete, floor plate, A-frame, electrics (just found out that it's a 575V 3-phase),
transportation,etc) it's going to cost me closer to $7K. In the range of a smaller Ironkiss.... but that's
not the same machine. I like mechanicals.....
I saw pics of Kevin's hammer, and it's a Bradley. Same design, but different company. And smaller...
I'll try to contact him anyway...
I was hoping to find someone with such a hammer to stop buy and look and talk about in December,
when i'll drive down to Mexico.
I'll send pics of it as soon as i can.....

Look at it this way,after you bring it home and get it working with this hammer you can quickly make the money to buy a smaller Iron Kiss and the compressor to power it and then you`ll be completely covered hammer wise.
Course if you follow the lead of certain other members here only 2 hammers is no where near enough.I`m talkin to you Danger,Dave and Larry.The rest of you know who you are,don`t think for a minute that I don`t have my eye on you too.

BTW-How about putting your location in your info.
That way I`ll know where to put the next pin on my map and better be able to focus google-earth so I can make sure you`re not baggin` over your limit for hammers.You`re on my list now pierosoleil. :)

My location... ??
Well.. i'm from northern Ontario, living in southern Ontario/Quebec on the summertimes, staying with my sweet~gal in
Upper-Peninsula (Mi) in autumns and springs, and my home is in Cuernavaca, Mexico (although i only have "tourist"
permit down there.. ! )
I was searching for a smaller hammer for my shop in Mx, but i'm now considering setting this one up here in the UP !??
Sometimes other "things" than forges can be "hot" enough to gravitate around.....

And... i like your advice Bob; What do you suggest after the Beaudry, and then the Ironkiss, and the ( ?? ) There ain't
much work up here in Mi, but then again there's lot's of free time... and good olde scrap iron from wayyyy back !

• 6 years later...
9 minutes ago, CMS3900 said:

Man, that's a cool hammer. So similar to a Bradley, but different. It's cool to see the different engineering approaches. Does it have a eccentric on the crankshaft like a Bradley, or is that what the adjustment at the top does?

I have never seen a Bradley up close but yes it has an eccentric crankshaft. Photo attached. 

IMG_2074.JPG

IMG_2075.JPG

That's a pretty neat setup. On a Bradley the crankshaft eccentric is adjustable, for setting your length of stroke. On your machine it looks like length of stroke is set by loosening that assembly at the top of the connecting rod and sliding it closer to, or further away, from the pivot point along that big shaft.  Someone posted some European power hammers that had a similar sliding mechanism like that a while back. 

46 minutes ago, CMS3900 said:

That's a pretty neat setup. On a Bradley the crankshaft eccentric is adjustable, for setting your length of stroke. On your machine it looks like length of stroke is set by loosening that assembly at the top of the connecting rod and sliding it closer to, or further away, from the pivot point along that big shaft.  Someone posted some European power hammers that had a similar sliding mechanism like that a while back. 

The crankshaft is a large turnbuckle that allows for throat adjustments. The slider adjustment at the top of the crankshaft maybe for minor adjustments but I'm not sure. If I swing it furthest back it causes erratic hammering.

Those two odd elements at the pivot point of the hammer arms  that essentially look like two Big Macs - three metal buns sandwiching two 133 year old rubber patties. I think they act as shock absorbers. I'll have to source those parts sooner than later.