I Forge Iron

Lead came for stained glass

My chum has replied and said he will pop round one lunch time...he is not sure whether they will allow photographs. He said he would do some sketches if that is the case...in an earlier life he was an interior designer and later a graphic artist, he even worked with me as a blacksmith for a year or so. He was always a good draughtsman so something useful should turn up.

Alan

A saga is developing. The part of the chapel containing the exhibit is having work done and is consequently closed off....hold your breath!

Alan

"Kings College Chapel is just next door to Trinity so I called in at lunch time. However they are carrying out some renovation work to the organ and having found some asbestos they had to close the exhibition area where the roll tool is displayed. Anyway when open again I’ll call by to have a look though I’m not certain when that will be. Any hurry on the matter?"

Well this thread was started in 2010 so I guess that it's somewhat less than urgent:) truth be told I have been there in the "gap" and as I was there with my wife looking at the place wrt. My Stepson Dylan, (the one that slept in your 'new wing':rolleyes:) when you so generously hosted us Alan. That time I wasn't concentrating on anything other than accommodation, tuition fees, books, fees , some pretty interior design shops, fees and er. did I mention fees?:D 

Anyhow thanks for the effort Alan! If nothing else I'm sure it'll move some of the cobwebs in my brain.

• 1 month later...

Herewith.

The photos of the machine on display in King's College Chapel.

My friend had problems with the light reflections on the glass cases...I have improved them with iPhoto (roughly tweaked!) I hope they are clear enough.

Alan

IMG_2541.thumb.jpg.f86be7ea99a63d03583b7IMG_2544.thumb.jpg.bc11444b6577b5ff5a13aIMG_2545.thumb.jpg.5c82d3acb1b014eb6f80dIMG_2540.thumb.JPG.1ed78c73907bbd6e97e41IMG_2547.thumb.JPG.acc66e1e079aa6d33b250IMG_2543.thumb.jpg.384d0801e49cb6d358cffIMG_2546.thumb.jpg.4f7c43f64ed9ab9d814f3IMG_2542.thumb.jpg.af4254805674b78da50f8

Here is the one which shows the roller profiles best.

This the original image I received in case you can do a better job of tweaking...

AlanIMG_2540.thumb.JPG.138839f55dd52980b1f1c

On 7 April 2016 at 2:55 PM, JHCC said:

He came, he saw came, he went.

Curiously, that brings to mind my father's schoolboy version of Julius Caesar's "Veni, Vidi, Vici" = "I came; I saw; I conquered" = "Weany, weedy and weaky" :)

Alan

4 hours ago, Alan Evans said:

Curiously, that brings to mind my father's schoolboy version of Julius Caesar's "Veni, Vidi, Vici" = "I came; I saw; I conquered" = "Weany, weedy and weaky" :)

Alan

That was the intention. I am a Classist by training, although not by profession.

Well, it looks more like "I came ,I saw and I took pictures!:D as opposed to my son's version "I went ,I saw and I selfie 'd.

Alan , thank you very much for the multitude of pictures, sadly my eyesight has yet to recover enough for me to figure it out but I have hope! Furthermore I'm happy to see that I was correct in my recollection that it was a mill and not just some "stretcher". Hopefully we can collectively post drawings to assist each other in the workings?

2 hours ago, JHCC said:

That was the intention. I am a Classist by training, although not by profession.

Might I enquire as to which you belong, and which you have been trained to particularly abhor?  Upper, lower or middle Class?

Or is Classist the opposite of Meritist?

Classicist? Classiest? :)

Doncha jus' luv' predictive text!

Alan

Just now, Alan Evans said:

Might I enquire as to which you belong, and which you have been trained to particularly abhor?  Upper, lower or middle Class?

Or is Classist the opposite of Meritist?

Classicist? Classiest? :)

Doncha jus' luv' predictive text!

Alan

Classicist. Darn autocorrect!

Not quite sure about your cheeks.

It is not very clear from the photos but if I were starting from scratch I would machine the rollers so that the final profile I required was formed by the space left between them. In this case I presume a capital H shape. So depending on your glass thickness I would machine the rollers to leave a glass thickness disc in the middle and whatever profile you require either side. The main shaft of the rollers would be almost touching and the centre discs would be slightly smaller diameter to create the thickness of the lead cross bar of the H. The removal of the wire edge on the discs would probably help the flow...The "cheeks" therefore would be incorporated in the rollers.

See sketch below. 

It may be necessary to do it in stages and have a two or three sets of profiles machined across the rollers.

Do you need a U shape for the outside frame? That could be on the same roller.

Alan

image.thumb.jpeg.84e8196135576873a932e5a

• 5 years later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/26/2021 at 11:09 AM, Nick Finn said:

Hi All,

Did anyone sort out equipment for lead came making. I have such a machine with tools and moulds. Nick Finn 

Lead Came extrusion equipment & tools/moulds.

IMG_4527.HEICUnavailable IMG_4537.HEICUnavailable IMG_4538.HEICUnavailable IMG_4536.HEICUnavailable IMG_4535.HEICUnavailable

Hi Nick - can you upload the pictures again or leave link if you still have the machine 

• 1 year later...

Not sure if this thread is now defunct, and no-one watching, but Ive just picked up some lead calme making equipment from a farm sale - old lead calme wooden  transportation troughs, some lead 'book' moulds for making the lead pigs, and some milling blocks for extruding the 'pigs' through to make the finished lead calmes.

Might be of interest to those who want to make some ? !

All quite interesting. Not sure of the age  of it all but its certainly not too modern !

Lead 5.jpg

Welcome aboard from 7500' in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have you.

I am sure that there are some leaded glass ("stained glass") fora out there which would have more interest and knowledge of came making than here.  I did a bit of glass work years ago but only with commercial came.  I believe there has been a shift to copper came and solder over the years because of health concerns about lead but lead came is still in use.

Working with lead should be approached cautiously since fumes and dust from the metal can be a serious health hazard.  I'm not saying not to use it but approach it very cautiously and wear proper PPE (too much is never enough) and lots of ventilation.  Lead and other metal toxicity is like many STDs, it is forever with no real cure.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Welcome from the Ozark mountains. My wife and  used to do a lot of stained glass and beveled glass. We still have the grinders for beveling and a lot of lead came but like George said the copper foil leaded over is much easier to use and hard to tell from lead came if done properly.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sails. ~ Semper Paratus