I Forge Iron

Muzzleloaders

Ive been trying for years to find someone that has actually forge welded a rifle barrell from flat bar
All I have come up with is people that can tell me how its done from reading about it.
I fired two rifles made by wallace gunsler the gunsmith at williamsburg years ago ( before this blacksmithing bug bit me )
I have built several kit guns but somehow it will never be the same as totally making one by hand.

Ive been trying for years to find someone that has actually forge welded a rifle barrell from flat bar
All I have come up with is people that can tell me how its done from reading about it.
I fired two rifles made by wallace gunsler the gunsmith at williamsburg years ago ( before this blacksmithing bug bit me )
I have built several kit guns but somehow it will never be the same as totally making one by hand.

It is my understanding that Wallace Gussler was the only smith in modern times to succesfully forgeweld a rifle barrel from flatstock around a rod. Anyone interested in crafting a longrifle would do well to check out the many books offered by Dixie Gun Works in Union City, Tennessee. "Thoughts on the Kentucky rifle in it's golden age" by Kindig is not to be missed. Also, check out the National Muzzleloading Rifle Association. Dan:)

I was wondering about if someone could direct me to information about building a muzzle loader or a flintlock?

"The Journal of Historical Armsmaking Technology" is the MAGNA CARTA of building Kentucky Longrifles today. Volume IV is Dixie Gun Works catalog No. B0906C. Dixie Gun Works muzzleloading, blackpowder and rare antique gun supplies. Dan:)

sorry but your wrong beuler, i'v seen a smith up in Canada named Lloyd Johnson forge weld a barrel from flat stock. and to tell ya the truth, it didn't seen all that complex, or hard.

Its just forging a bar into a rough pipe shape and welding the seem as you go along.
As long as you have the time(it did take a wile) and the tools, swages and a mandrel...
im sure anyone that was good at forge welding could do it.

Now, the hard part comes later when you want to make that pipe into a barrel , then you have to bore and rifle it. and thread one end for a breach cap, and then shape the outside so its round or hex, or octagon, and polish it all smooth......

It was said that the old colonial blacksmiths could make a rifle barrle from start to finish in one week, and they had to forge their's from a 50lb block of iron, not flat stock....

-Andrei

I was asked by a flintlock maker in Custer, SD if I could make him a "damascus" barrel, I told him I thought it was beyond my capabilities but I would check with some of the people I was associated with and see if anyone was interested. I asked Jim Hirshoula one night in the chat room if he was interested and he like all others backed away because of the liability involved.

Woody

I saw a guy on television forge weld the flat bar thing into a barrel, he started with a big 1/2 inch thick peice of flat bar that was a couple inches wide and a foot and a half long, and forge welded it with a bar inside in a swage block, it was awesome. He was replicating one of those old style early age staff/spear hand cannons.

Hi Yesteryearforge....Chris and Jon Laubach have been forging barrels for over 20 years. Chris has a web site...try coloniallongrifles.com he has the site up but not functioning at present. However, He has a contact e-mail there.

They demonstrate at Dixon's every year. I have been fortunate enough to play in the forge with them at Dixon's for 3 years and learn the technique.
Chris can explain the procedure quite well. I believe Chris said that it takes about 100 hours for him to go from a skelp to a finished properly shaped, bored and rifled barrel. The process is not difficult...The work is! haha

DanL

Hi Primetechsmith. Sorry to be so delayed in a response. I have been away from the computer.

I have no supply of the Wrought Iron that is used for the skelp (bar) used in barrel making. Therefore I would be unable to provide anyone with a demonstration. Also, I have not considered doing any sort of demo on my own since I am just learning the process myself.

If Farmville is anywhere close to Williamsburg...you should go to Williamsburg city and look up Jon Laubach at his private forge called "Williamsburg forge". He is the guru of barrel forging IMHO.

Another suggestion is to travel to Dixon's muzzleloading fair the last weekend in July west of Allentown, PA. Google it and find directions.

My supply of wrought iron for forge practice is old iron wagon wheel rims. It is not the best wrought iron but it is the only supply that I have.

If I ever get around to building a power hammer...I will work this wrought iron into some quality iron and make a barrel or two.

Cheers,
DanL

Rifle making,
The Foxfire books had a section on gunsmithing. It was in the same book as the blacksmithing section (right after it if i remember) I believe it was Foxfire 5, but don't quote me on that. They also had some pictures of the tools used to cut the rifling grooves. It would be neat to make one, as long as i didn't have to actually shoot it afterwards.

Also, as far as damascus barrels go, I think these were more for shotgun barrels (lower interior pressure and all) but I might be wrong. I know the only one that I have ever seen was on my great-great grandfather's shotgun (which I've only seen once because it is safely locked up in the back of my grandfather's gun safe and hasn't seen the light of day since he inherited it over ten years ago), the thing was more a work of art that a gun...
-Aaron @ the SCF

• 1 year later...

forgive the thread necromancy, but there's something I've been wondering, and I figured it wasn't worth a new thread.

How on earth do you get the mandrel out after welding the barrel? What material is the mandrel typically made from? I've got the Foxfire book but I think it's still at home in MN.

many years ago i got to watch Gary Brumfield forge weld a section of barrel at a weekend demo .. the mandrel is of a higher carbon and you try not to let it get to welding temp ...it worked in the demo tho it looked like it wanted to stick .ive alst seen a section of barrel made by the wrap method and that looked like it would be easyer to make by yourself .ime sure there would be some kind of liability but.....its a muzzleloader and inherently dangerous so...

i woulds suggest that you forge the other parts of the rifle ( butt plate, trigger gaurd, tinderbox,) The barrel and lock you should defiently buy. You can by top of the line barrel and lock for 300 together. I would sugest that you do this but if you want to try. Hershal House has some blacksithing videos on making gun parts

i have made a pistol barrel for a flinter ,first i layed wrought iron with nickle steel forged it into a square then i twisted it up tight ,then coiled it up like a coil spring and then welded it solid forged it 8 sided ,then i put it into the lathe and poked a long drill down it ,it was 10 ins long ,i know its cheating but it made a sound job with a heavy wall.

Isn't Clay Smith demo'ing at Yesteryear Forge next month? I don't know if he has forged a rifle barrel, but I have seen him forging a pistol barrel during one of his demonstrations. If he hasn't made a rifle barrel, I believe there ARE artisans at Williamsburg that can and have. Ask Ken Swartz, he would know who.

Hollon , Track of the Wolf has all kinds of parts, kits, books & video. I recommend Peter Alexanders book The Gunsmith of Grenville Co its spiral bound book goes into detail on building muzzle loaders nice color pics . Also Cabin Creek owned By Brad Emig has forged rifle barrels in the past not sure if he still does or not. He is great to deal with I got parts from him for my rifle

My late hunting partner of 35 years and I bought an unrifled wrought blank and built the rifling tool-a long spiral grooved cylinder that mastered a pull through boring head. Note paper shims to deepen the cut on each pull. If I tried it again, it would be fall or spring-there is a lot of effort involved in pulling the spiralling cutter. At the end, though, we thought we were hotter than FFF with a sparkin' frizzen. It shot OK.mt