I Forge Iron

Forge cleanin'

G'Day all ,
twas wonderin' how oftern youse blokes ( & shelias ) clean out youse forge ?

Just spent the better part of an hr doin' mine knowin' i's 4 blokes comin' around on weekend to see if " smithing's " the go ..

Love digin' out all that dragon poo ( BTW Ian , youse left a nice donut sized clinker in mine pitty it fell apart as i dug it out ) ... :(
So what the go , every time , every second or when ever it takes youse fancy ?

Dale Russell ( the bloke formly known as ) chopper

The smith I'm learning under requires I clean it every time I go over there. He has us lackys clean it out, and then shovel all the coal/coke out of the firepot (as much as possible) so the next guy can use it. That's the stuff that needs to be cleaned, otherwise you'll end up with clinker in the coal/coke, and that sucks. It helps to have a couple buckets, one for coal/coke and another for ash/clinker, makes it easy to sort it out. It's a mess to clean, no doubt...I just wash my hands with some borax in the slack tank.

We only save about a dime size or bigger.

Were I come from, we like our shelias clean also! :P Luckily my wife is Japanese.:)

Alan ,
i also like my forge " clean" ,, less chance of " extra " clinklers buildin' up .

Not sure how long it's been between cleans , but seein' as me POMMIE freeloader mate ( read IAN ) twas usin forge who knows ....;) ( But he did supply his own coke & it's now addin' ta me floor fill )

Not sure about coke v coal ,, so ifin youse could tell me how youse bloke ( & shelias ) go about " daily forge chores " twould be intersting ta see the diff ..

Dale Russell ( the bloke formaly known as ) chopper

Not sure about coke v coal ,, so ifin youse could tell me how youse bloke ( & shelias ) go about " daily forge chores " twould be intersting ta see the diff ..
Well, I can tell you what I've been taught to do...I've only been smithing for a month or two, so take it with a grain of salt.

Luckily I only have to clean the forge I use. So it's not like I'm cleaning all the forges at the smithy...;)

We have 2 buckets, one for coal/coke, and the other for ash/clinker (basically a garbage bucket). Everything in the firepot gets sorted out for the good coke that was left from the previous coal fire, since we want that to start the new fire with. You can use coal, but it's harder to get going, is my understanding. Anyway, it's not something to spend a lot of time with, so anything that is usuable gets put up around the sides of the firepot inside the forge, and then I get a full bucket of coal which is all about walnut size or slightly smaller.

After all the ash/clinker are out of there, and the ashgate is all cleaned (I use a small broom and shovel), I put 2 pieces of wadded up newspaper, and go out in the back and chop up some kindling, there's a box and sometimes there is kindling there (like last week;-) But if not I just chop up enough to start the fire, about 2 fist fulls (1 large fist full). I put the paper in the firepot and toss the kindling over it, then get some of the coke that was left from the previous coal fire (the light fluffy stuff), and put a handful or two on top. Before I light the paper, I shovel all the coal around the forge (I use the entire bucket). I try to have it mound up towards the firepot.

Then I light the paper, and as it starts to burn I slowly crank the blower. I continue to put more of the coke that was left, on to the fire, and then continue to move coal into the firepot also...and by this time the coal is starting to burn the impurities out/off and turn into coke, and I try to keep it broken up and fluffy as it wants to get sticky/gummy if you're not attentive. Eventually the coal turns into light fluffy coke.

Then I just keep going until I need to leave. :P I have had enough coal for the few hours I'm there, last week I was there for 4 hours. Then I shovel all the coal/coke from the firepot to the outside so it stops burning and leaves the next guy something to start his fire with, and I make sure the bucket is full of coal also, if I can.;) I kinda look at it as I leave the forge the way I would like it to be when I get there. The first couple times the forge was left with almost nothing in it, but the smith must have told one of the other lackys to kick it up a notch, because last week there was a ample supply of coke in the forge and plenty of coal in the bucket!:)

This method seems to work for me, and has started the forge the few times I've used it.

You might want to get someone else's opinion of the proper way to start the forge, there's all types of zealots about using liquids, not using them, etc...some folks use lighter fluid I guess, but I haven't been taught that way.

I have a nylon whisk broom that hangs by the forge. The coal I get has fair bit of fines (read powder ) . I clean the pot each use (charcoal or coal ). After a while, I shovel the forge table one scoop at a time on to some rat wire ( 1/2" galvanized mesh ) over the ash bucket and shake the wire around a bit. I also sweep the forge table with the small broom. This gets the fines and small stuff out and leaves the stuff to be picked ( any small trash that might be in the table ). I then just dump this back on the forge table with the coke. Keep any green coal seperate.

I buy coal in 50 pound bags, and everytime I get a new bag, I make sure to clean out at least most of the powder and dust that is left in my forge pan. I use a flat bottom pan style forge, so all the buildup really helps develop a kind of "firepot on the fly". When I clean it out, I shovel everything into a big 5 gallon bucket, and then run the whole thing through my coal/coke/charcoal/whatever sifter, which seprates the usable chunks from the dust, all by just dumping the bunch ion one end, then putting the bucket at the other, and cranking a handle. It has doubled the amount of fuel I get and can use(withouth the pain of sifting coal by hand) from one bag of coal (as coal forges produce coke, mine especially). It is also almost dust free, unlike just pouring it into an open container, the hopper has a cover, so you fill that up, shut the door, and crank away and clean usable coke and sometimes coal comes out the other end. I paid $10 for it, and it fits perfectly on a galvanised garbage can, just like a lid.

I clean after each use. If burning for extended time I will 'fish' out the clinker and continue. I usually will save some coke back for demos as it doesn't smoke as bad but also use green coal. I have found that my fires are easier to tend as well as being hotter. It doesn't take too long to do if you do it every time you lite up. I suppose if you use strickly coke you wouldn't need to clean as often, just fish out clinkers as needed.

As far as starting the fire I use a couple of pine cones. We live on 60+ acres of pine and hard wood so the cones are in abundance. I have used Sweetgun balls also. both work great. Our pine cones are not the large ones like up north, usually 2-4"dia. and 3-6" long. 1 match, 2 pine cones, handfull of coke/coal BINGO! Ready to have fun!

Ok, here is what I do. I just rake the hot coals out of the forge at the end of the forging session and cool them with water from my sprinkling can if I am going home shortly.

You all know I like to make toys oops (tools), so if I for some reason get a big clinker in the bottom of the fire pot I just slip this fork down along the side and gently raise the clinker out and put it in the clinker can.

clinkerfork.jpg

If I see any small clinkers in the fire that the fork did not get I use these clinker tongs to pick them out and put in the clinker can.

clinkertongs.jpg

When I rake the hot coals from the firepot at the end of the forging session I use this rake to pull them out and the next time I fire the forge I use this rake to seperate the left over coke from the fines in the firepot and dump the rest into the coal scuttle ash bucket under neath, I pick out the visble cold clinkers and put them in the clinker can.

coalrake.jpg

To start a fire, I wad up 3 full sheets of newspaper up into a tight ball and light it afire and turn the blower on slow then use the above rake to gently push coke in to cover it leaving the fines on the hearth to be put in the coal scuttle underneath, I turn the blower up on high and in a few minutes I have a fire I can use to forge with. I rake more coke onto the roaring fire and then bank the sides with wet coal from my wet coal container.

I use this rake to maintain my fire and also put the V notch over some things to help prevent the fire from heating the cold part, kinda like a heat shield.

universalrake.jpg

G'Day ,
thank's blokes ( woulda put Shelias too , but none replied :) )
Interesting ... :)

Strine ,,, after 8 yrs of usin " chopper " twas time ta come outta the cloest ..:)

Jr ,, cool toy's ... opps mean tools ,,, look's like i's gonna be busy over the weekend makin' toys opps tool's meself

Dale Russell ( the bloke formaly known as Chopper )

Took some pics of the forge as I cleaned and got it going today at the smithy.

(linky pic)

small_cleaned_forge.jpg

Had another great day at the school of hard knocks...(pun intentional :P)

Jr. I like that heat protector for the stock, that's gonna be on my list of things, but I haven't noticed too much problem, and Scott Thomas doesn't allow us to wear gloves, and I guess I kind of agree, but I take my Ghetto Glove with me anyway, never know when I might need it. I like the little heat protector, that's a cool idea! (I'm full of puns tonight, heh?).

1147.attach

Pommie Freeloader..... you know I don't mind the Pommie bit anymore, I cant fight 23 million Australians everytime one of them goes "Oiy Pom!" But I have to say that bar for the one occassion where I burnt the midnight oil on a few pieces I always TRIED to remember to clean out the fire mate...

:D So there!!

Irn - Nice tools! I like the heat shield idea! That's pinched!

Ian - There's Poms and then there's Poms. Notice I used a capital 'P'? I remember there was a safari park up the road from us, with a sign out the front that read "Englishmen on bicycles admitted free!" Chin up - I suspect Dale (if that is his real name) is using it as a term of affection! :)

Down and dirty forge cleaning (no pun intended). I made myself a hook about 18 inches long out of 1/4" square, for fishing the clinkers out of the fire. When I am done with forging and the fire is out, I use a small coal shovel that I bought for $2 at an antique store to clean out the firepot as best as I can. Toss the stuff into a metal bucket for sorting later. Then I use the shop vacuum to finish cleaning out the fire pot.

Woody

When to clean the fire is part of being a smith. Some coal is nearly clinker free, some is mostly clinker and there's everything in between.

As a rule of thumb though, you want to clean at the end of a session regardless. it's kind of like cooking with cast iron; it's easier at the end of a session than trying to clean it cold later.

When I light up I cut or tear a strip of cardboard about 1 1/2" wide and up to 2' long. I roll it tight, place it over the center of the air grate, let it unspring a little so there're spaces in the coil. Then I pack around the coil with 3/4" coal till it holds the coil in place. If I have breeze left over (forge coke) I cover all but the center of the coil with it though green coal will light easily this way. I pack the outside of the mound with wet fines and pile it till the cardboard coil is at the bottom of a crater.

With a gentle crank of the blower I drop a couple wooden stick matches in the center of the coil. You want just enough air so the matches don't go out. Once the cardboard catches I give it a bit more air and cover it with 3/4" coal and pack it with wet fines. I slowly build the air blast till it's smoking hard, yellow/green, then I use the poker to open a small path to the flame. This lights the smoke and things get nicer.

You can go from here directly to forging, feeding green coal in from the sides, or do as I do and coke up a bucket so I don't have to smell smoke but the one time a day.

It takes less time to light the fire this way than it does to read the description. Oh, okay, write it.

Frosty

• 13 years later...
On November 7, 2006 at 8:32 AM, Sam Salvati said:

I shovel everything ... and then run the whole thing through my coal/coke/charcoal/whatever sifter, which seprates the usable chunks from the dust, all by just ... cranking a handle.

...crank away and clean usable coke and sometimes coal comes out the other end.

I know this thread is old and this will be a long shot in the dark. But I can't resist asking about this device.

Sam, if you're still hanging around these forums, would you post pictures of the thing you're describing? 

Or, if Sam isn't around... Has anyone got any information on this sifter?