I Forge Iron

Bronze Canoe

myloh67

I like everything about it Myloh!

What did you use to get the dugout texture? I have a few ideas but if I can get you to tell me how I won't have to figure it out. What's the bronze alloy and how was it to forge?

That is so SO well done.

Frosty the Lucky.

Thanks folks.
Frosty the dug out texture was achieved using a cheese fuller that moved the material widthways, the material is silicone bronze, this is worked at a dull red and pickled in acid prior to patination. I have made a similar work in steel although this latest work captures most of the qualities one loves about this craft. :)

:) Oh boy, thats nice.

The priority for me and most.. are the results acheieved through the mistakes that occur when we enter the unknown.
"Can you make me something like this"....
"Of course"...
Life in a nutshell..
And it's short ... gotta love this precious thing :D

Thanks folks.
Frosty the dug out texture was achieved using a cheese fuller that moved the material widthways, the material is silicone bronze, this is worked at a dull red and pickled in acid prior to patination. I have made a similar work in steel although this latest work captures most of the qualities one loves about this craft. :)

A cheese fuller makes sense and I just happen to have one.

I'll have to ask my caster friend if he has any silicon bronze that hasn't been through the melter, I haven't had luck forging sprues, etc. at any temp.

Thanks for shortening the learning curve for me.

Frosty the Lucky.

I got a cheese fuller, I had to ask Thomas what the heck I had but he knew. I've had some luck forging down sprue but only once cast stuff, not that bronze that's been cast several times as it tends to build up gas in the bronze and that gets it porous I think. You can work it but you just got to anneal it often. I haven't worked it hot with all that porosity, it always fails. <_<
That's a real nice boat and bucket for bailing :P

I like the clean simple lines.

What is a cheese fuller?

Here you go
http://books.google.ie/books?id=mecE6dX7HlIC&pg=PA24&lpg=PA24&dq=blacksmiths+cheese+fuller+tool&source=bl&ots=4zj7dNmggr&sig=MLRz3-_hBCYVescDQCvrDUwK_LE&hl=en&ei=Za-6TJjvA87h4gbe3JHVDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CC0Q6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

A cheese fuller makes sense and I just happen to have one.

I'll have to ask my caster friend if he has any silicon bronze that hasn't been through the melter, I haven't had luck forging sprues, etc. at any temp.

Thanks for shortening the learning curve for me.

Frosty the Lucky.

Frosty it must be the silicone that gives the material it's mallebility. Surely any other mix of bronze would prove problematic to forge.

Frosty it must be the silicone that gives the material it's mallebility. Surely any other mix of bronze would prove problematic to forge.

I know zinc and lead cause problems with forging since they melt at a lower temperature than the copper, and pull the melting temperature of the copper down some, reducing the range of temperature you have to work in.

Phil