I Forge Iron

Steel rack

Here is my steel rack for my shop. The main pieces are like bed sted pieces or something. A friend gave them to me. As it is, it will hold 14 different sizes of stock in separate areas. By adding a couple pieces of metal in certain places I can either double or triple the amount of stock sizes this rack will hold. I think I'll crush the rack with weight before I fill it up. :P

I took the advice of the more knowledgeable welders on here, and cleaned everything nicely before welding.

DSC09376.jpg
DSC09380.jpg
DSC09377.jpg
DSC09379.jpg
DSC09384.jpg
DSC09385.jpg

That is a clever idea! Welds look nice. How did it go butt welding the pipes together? I recommend gloves when arc welding. The arc emits very hard UV.

As it happens I am also making stock racks out of recycled material. Not as slick as your plan. Took a lot more small pieces and a lot more welds. Perhaps I shall look around for some railing to make up another set.

About the gloves....I use a left hand welding glove but prefer an open right hand to give me better feel.....that is until a nice sized chunk of slag ends up in the uncovered hand. LOL Perhaps I'll use a mechanic's type glove for my right hand from now on. And I'll be sure to don my long sleeve shirt too!

The butt welding went well. It is thin wall pipe but I still put a welding groove in and filled the groove up. I think those joints are sturdy!

Thanks for all the complements!

Thats a nice rack you made. I like the scrounged materials. I must caution you about uv exposure from the arc rays. You should not let them hit any part of your skin ever. If you make this a habit is is very easy to do. You do not want skin cancer when you are 30-40 yrs old. I have a se fleather sleves that has a short apron snapped on to it and is easy to slip on even when only tacking something.
Keep up the good work,
Rob

looks practical

you definately need either sleeves or long sleeve shirt

its the arms that take the burn usually not your hands

I have gotten a couple wicked burns on the bicep and inbetween the bicep and forearm

even one high amp weld can do it

I made a truck rack out of aluminum and I had it out of position I had 2 welds one about 4 inch's and another 2 inch's

I was wearing shorts because I wasnt thinking I would have to add these extra brackets it sunburned both of my shins for nearly 2 weeks

usually the arm that gets burned is the not the one holding the torch its the other arm that might just be how I position myself though

Definitely long sleeves. Green sleeves are great and fire resistant. I have a friend who has welded for over 30 years and say's " Long sleeves are for PXXXXS" His arms looks like someone beat him with barb wire. <_< Nice rack too.

My welding rig is set up about 20 feet away from the hay....I worry more about grinding sparks.

Either way, I keep an eye out on where I throw sparks and also try to stand between the work piece and the hay to block stuff. We should be getting all of that out of there soon....can't wait till we do!

I wear thin leather gloves welding for better feel. Keeping the UV off you is pretty darned important for sure. Way back when I did a little tig work on milk truck tanks and the other two welders made a habit of welding in near G string swim suits for the tan. Their eye protection was really small goggle like things you used to see in tanning studios. No gloves, tigging SS is darned spatter free with a little practice.

I declined the paid tanning session but last I heard about two years later the second guy had maxed his insurance out on skin grafts and had a pretty poor prognosis. The other guy died of cancer less than a year after I started the job and that's about when I discovered I was hired as his replacement. I didn't stick long, it was almost impossible to escape UV seeing as we were welding inside a big tubular mirror.

Mig and Tig expose you to more UV, there isn't any smoke to difuse it like stick welding.

Frosty the Lucky