I Forge Iron

Hay Budden info

I came across a hay budden craigs list its $1.88 a pound adn looks in good condition serial is 11368 but I cant find any info on it when it was made and so on any info and suggestions on if I should get it would be nice its 265 lbs apparently.

I have never based an anvil buy on "when it was made"; only on size, style, condition and make. When it was made doesn't generally affect usability.

If it is in your price rang and is in good condition then go for it.

HB is one of the top american makers

Now for historical work I use my most recently made anvil---2008 but it was made in a style that was in use from ancient Rome to the 19th century!

I have never based an anvil buy on "when it was made"; only on size, style, condition and make. When it was made doesn't generally affect usability.

If it is in your price rang and is in good condition then go for it.

HB is one of the top american makers

Now for historical work I use my most recently made anvil---2008 but it was made in a style that was in use from ancient Rome to the 19th century!

Thank you I would have accurately explained if I was not in a hurry to post. I was just making sure what year model and so on. For instance if their was a abnormality with that year/model. I am new to this field more accurately have no time in the field at all only knowledge of it I've just done research on forging and it seems interesting.

Welcome aboard, glad to have ya.

A general characteristic of someone new to the craft is to worry about getting things "right" such as you're doing right now.

What really matters for anvil selection is basic type and material. forget about ring unless you're just into noise, Rebound is what'll tell you more about how well it'll work hot metal. Condition is important but don't worry about little dings and chips out of the edges. Hay Buddens are high quality anvils and they don't go bad like leftover meatloaf.

Is it in good contition? Can you afford it? Can you get it home? Will the wife kill you?

What else actually matters?

Frosty the Lucky.

No wife so good their I also can afford it its cheaper than what I have been looking for around here based on Dollar a pound new is insane like 5-6 a pound condition looks good looks like some dents and nicks. Its close its not super heavy but need at least one other to lift it(265Lbs) and transportation a car in this case probably a van.