I Forge Iron

Dead Tree Coat Rack

Spears

This project ended up a little more work than first anticipated which is common for a lot of mine. The trunk is 3 pieces of 2" wide 1/4" thick 58" long hot rolled steel tapered edge wise then formed and textured at the same time. With the power hammer fullering top die, tree bark bottom die created "U" channel. Welded together for a round trunk, then plasma cutter gouge textured the weld seam.

Welded on hand forged broken branch and plugged the hole with a hand forged coil to simulate a branch having broken off and started to heal.

Power hammer three roots same as trunk with smaller fullering top die same tree bark bottom die stock size 1" wide 1/4" thick. Power hammer 1" round stock for limbs (top & bottom treebark dies taper and texture) and bend them to still look kind of real and yet not end up "eye pokers" for hanging coats.

Mig weld assembly and Plasma cut texture along with weld bead texture to blend with power hammer texture. If I had the equipment to make the trunk solid, it may have been easier but boy would it have been heavy. I'm happy its finished and thank you for your compliments. Spears.

Great looking tree. I like the fire place set in the background too. Your work? if so what did you use for the bristles on the brush? I have had no end of trouble trying to source the brush part here in SAust. Do you know a supplier or did you make it yourself from something?

Great looking tree. I like the fire place set in the background too. Your work? if so what did you use for the bristles on the brush? I have had no end of trouble trying to source the brush part here in SAust. Do you know a supplier or did you make it yourself from something?

Yes the fire place set is my work. It was made a few months after I purchased my forge. Very much beginner and treasured by my wife. Hammer marks galore. I don't show much of my earlier works. I didn't dress my first hammer real well and some of my early work has half moon marks. The broom I bought at an arts and crafts show by a gentleman who does just that. I don't know if I kept his card or not. It was rather inexpensive and I clipped off the wood end and captured it with a piece of 1/4" plate hammered to death and folded over. Thanks for taking an interest in my work. Here is a little better picture of that set. Regards, Spears.
post-9545-099705600 1288035177_thumb.jpg

Yes the fire place set is my work. It was made a few months after I purchased my forge. Very much beginner and treasured by my wife. Hammer marks galore. I don't show much of my earlier works. I didn't dress my first hammer real well and some of my early work has half moon marks. The broom I bought at an arts and crafts show by a gentleman who does just that. I don't know if I kept his card or not. It was rather inexpensive and I clipped off the wood end and captured it with a piece of 1/4" plate hammered to death and folded over. Thanks for taking an interest in my work. Here is a little better picture of that set. Regards, Spears.

She has many reasons to treasure that set, not just because it is better than can be bought.
Phil

Thanks Spears, I quite like the odd hammer mark on some of my work as it indicates to the viewer (or new owner)that it is hand made. It makes multiple sets "one offs" and is often characteristic. It's an interesting stand, not your normal run of the mill style that you see commercially. I have often wondered about the durability of the bristles from garden / yard brooms. It Seems that they may work well so must give them a try. keep up the Great work. regards, Chrispy :D