I Forge Iron

LaBelle Nail Mfg. Closes After 158 Years

This seems to be a hot topic. Metalworking plants closing is something that we all should care about. Also politics is something to be avoided or should I say especially current politics. Vote for so and so and pass this measure etc. If the closing of or manufacturing means anything to us then it is very important to know why it happened. If that means talking about the past, which is historical fact at this point I don't think that should be offensive to anyone. Even if that is political history . History is what it is and can not be changed. If you don't want to understand and learn from our past mistakes in an attempt to not repeat them it is guaranteed that you will. Example: we are now in a depression-recession because the financial industry got the government to do away with the rules that were put in place in the 30's to prevent another depression like 1929. We had laws to keep that business sector in check, they did not like those laws and now we live with the results. Lesson: capitalism needs to be regulated or it will run out of control just as the financial people just did.
Try to understand what happened and why so we don't do it again.
Rob

• 3 weeks later...

Friends of Wheeling Meeting
LaBelle Nail, 31st Street, South Wheeling
10:00 AM, Saturday, November 6, 2010

This Wheeling icon began production of cut nails in 1852, was the only Wheeling area nail company to survive the panic of 1857, suffered during the “great nail strike” of 1886, and until recently was one of two remaining cut nail factories in the country. Some of the original buildings still stand, and the company was in part time production until spring of this year. Cheap foreign imports have led to a continued decline, and the company has now officially stopped production. This tour offers a rare opportunity to see original machinery and other features that may soon be lost to our heritage.

Please wear close-toed shoes and warm clothing, and bring a flashlight.

Friends of Wheeling Meeting
LaBelle Nail, 31st Street, South Wheeling
10:00 AM, Saturday, November 6, 2010

This Wheeling icon began production of cut nails in 1852, was the only Wheeling area nail company to survive the panic of 1857, suffered during the “great nail strike” of 1886, and until recently was one of two remaining cut nail factories in the country. Some of the original buildings still stand, and the company was in part time production until spring of this year. Cheap foreign imports have led to a continued decline, and the company has now officially stopped production. This tour offers a rare opportunity to see original machinery and other features that may soon be lost to our heritage.

Please wear close-toed shoes and warm clothing, and bring a flashlight.

Do you just show up or do you have to register? I'd love to go, and will try to go. If I do, I'll snag pics (if I can).