I Forge Iron

Who here has Anvilites

Look at Sask Mark's photo again. In addition to the anvils the kids are posing with, lurking behind the pile, just waiting to STRIKE it's own anvil, I see a "Western Giant" power hammer....See how far his malaise has progressed...he resorts to hiding the really good stuff from the rest of us....typical with advanced cases!

well keep in mind anvil addiction and anvilosis/anvilitis are seperate things.

the second and third are diseases thought to be contracted similarly to blacklung, the coal miners disease caught from breathing too much coal dust. these diseases are thought to be caught from a time spent around a vast number of different blacksmithing tools.

unfortunatly like cocaine, blacksmithing addiction can be contracted(is that the right word?)with only one dose. in fact most cases of anvil addiction(or blacksmithing addiction) happen after only one time, the victims claim "I'll try it just this once, I will not become an addict." most do become addicts after the first try.

...Hello my name is Tim, I am an addict.....I know I am and I don't care. I will learn to cope and no 12 step programs will help me. I won't let it!!! Like my insanity I don't suffer from it, I enjoy every minute.

Ya just need the right 12 step program. Stack all your anvils up. Pick up the stack and take 12 steps.Repete
whenever ya start thinking of adding another one. In really bad cases make the steps up the stairs.
Ken.

I think another symptom is when you have sadness / remorse when thin your herd. Right now I only have 4 - that's after selling one and giving another away to an out of state friend that visited us and who lives in an anvil-poor area... I'll be okay, right? It gets easier over time, doesn't it? unsure.gif

Oh - and I just got an autographed copy of Anvils in America as my one and only birthday present. What a cool book - and, as far as I'm concerned, not just a book, but a collectors item!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've got it.

Well, I have anvilosis. The only reason that I have not relapsed into full blown anvilites is because I do not have the funds in order to indulge on my anvil addiction. I do, however, have the time to indulge in my blacksmithing/ blademaking addiction and spend every spare minute in the shop, and like mentioned earlier, I ain't gonna take no 12 step program either, I have too much fun. :D

-Andrew

I only have 6 at the moment, and I have been watching one down the way from me. It hasn't moved in the 5yrs I have lived here, so I am going to take a shot at getting that one. Spotted another in a backyard while at a garage sale, and I only check Craigslist once a day for anvils, so I don't think I have a problem. I mean if it was an addiction it would have complete control over my life.

I just realized that I went the whole months of September and October without adding to the collection.

I guess I have a terminal case of Anvilitisis...soon to have enough to use a different anvil/bick for each day of the year. Ever wonder why compasses do not work in Central NJ? Forgot, no one uses them anymore since GPS.

Visits always welcome, after 12/25. Christmas tree season is fast approaching and I still have many to prune.