I Forge Iron

Naval Door

kevan

Not quite in the league of Danger Dillon or RoryMay,and more fabrication than smithing,but nevertheless a fun job exactly to the customers specs. The finished product weighed almost 150kg (about 320lbs) Done together with a collegue in our spare time.

post-2420-008325300 1286393441_thumb.jpg

A very kind thank you to all my peers for their comments. I am quite surprised at the level of approval, but I think it is the rivet heads that make the statement. Over the weekend I will post a photo of what we did, it is actually a bit of sleight of hand.

Kevan

Not quite in the league of Danger Dillon or RoryMay,and more fabrication than smithing,but nevertheless a fun job exactly to the customers specs. The finished product weighed almost 150kg (about 320lbs) Done together with a collegue in our spare time.

Yes, I was the colleague which was involved with Kevan on this one and we really enjoyed the challenge.I did the castings of the brass fittings in my backyard furnace and although the casting of especially the plaque was in actual fact not a very good one it fitted in precisely with the look we wre trying to achieve - ancient and weathered, just salvaged from the bottom of the sea.The voice pipe is a 40mm thin walled steel pipe and lack of a suitable pipe bender caused me to try the traditional packing with dry sand method, after which it was stoppered,with both ends tightly closed, heated to bright red and bent by hand over a round mandrel,with excellent results.Only proviso is well packed ultra dry sand and a good bright red heat-Good trick when a pipe bender is not available.

Incidentally if you cannot source real green sand for your casting, clean, fine plastering type sand works well if you mix it with acrylic plastering stabilizer.(Called "Plaster Key" in South Africa).This gives the mold more than enough body to hold its shape and produce good castings.
The Bear