I Forge Iron

Horse-shoe-nail-spoon-jig

What's been done on this one is that the hole has been drilled, then the top part hammered in. That's just another way of doing it, it'll keep the ball in the right place, when you hammer it down I s'pose. :)
I'd say there are many ways of depriving a feline of its epidermis! :)

• 1 year later...

Just browsing around & found this great thread. I really like the jig, good idea! :)

fwiw over here we have a sizable history of very small spoons, usually silver, for salt & pepper. Not 'cos it was expensive (we're talking 17-1800's here), but 'cos you don't want much of it on your food. ;)

• 3 months later...

Small spoons would've been used extensively for measuring spices. never heard of a teaspoon? 1/8th of a teaspoon measurements are common in many dishes, and from the looks of things those little spoons would be perfect for it. And besides, why whittle a piece of bone with a razor sharp knife when it could splinter and ruin your hands day? Only takes 2 minutes to make the spoon. The nobles might've used bone, but silver was easier and you can use a horn as a cup to hold water

I sell them as salt spoons,in the 1700's salt was expensive and it was kept in a salt cellar a small square glass or silver box with a lid. The jig I use is a spring swedge the base is a rivit set that fits the pritchel hole with a ball bearing welded on the upper side.

• 4 months later...

I just saw this thread and I think this is a very neat item to sell at shows. If you don't mind I am going to build a copy of your jig. People love a story with any Item they purchase. I sometimes make up very elaborate "Tales" to go along with an item. Most people know right away that it's BS but love the whole idea.

• 4 weeks later...

I used to cast a small bronze spoon and a silver one until I found out what they were being used for. It was the same thing that the little coffee spoon from McDonald's was being used for. They took the bowl off of their spoon to stop folks from using it to measure banned substances. That little forged spoon looks to be just about the right size to measure that dastardly white powder with.:cool:

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...

I have a few questions being that I am a fledgling blacksmith. DO you do the twists and loops before you shape the bowl or after? What size hammer do you use do bend such a small item? I think my 2 pounders might be a bit much. Also aren't the nails zinc plated? DO you have to worry about fumes or are they too small to make much? I have 2 huge boxes of horseshoe nails in my forge and I would love to make these to sell in the gift shop. They are BIG nails too although I don't know what size they are. I'd say 3 inches long with a 3/16 x 1/2 in head. Would these work? How do I make a loop that small? I only know how to make a loop on the horn of my anvil so far. Any help would be appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd do the twist and loop after the bowl. The little "loop" is easy. Just let the tip of the nail protrude a little over the far edge of the anvil, and kind of "brush" it with the hammer to start the bend downwards. Push it out a little more and do it again. Then flip the loop so it points upwards and tap it with the hammer towards you while you raise the tongs. Making a loop like that is easy-just don't hit the same place twice. If it'll help I can post some pics for you. If you have a couple boxes of nails, you'll get good at them quickly. If you don't have the stuff to make that jig, you can just make a round hand held punch and use a block of wood-just set the nail on a block of wood and drive it down with the round punch. If you soak the block of wood in water it'll smoke less.

You could use a carriage bolt for your dome and it could all be made from your strap, you can weld a piece of the strap at a forty five angle to fit your hardy hole. I am seeing another use for my doming block set. Instead of welding a dome or ball bearing on the top, you could drill a hole to fit different size doming punches. The harbor freight doming block set is cheap and the shanks ar so short they suck to hold. Kill two birds with one stone.

• 4 months later...