I Forge Iron

Forge Welding / Equinox / Full Moon = perfect welds

Forging after dinner and into the night, under a full harvest moon, trying to keep the hammer blows in time with the cricket that lives in the resource center (scrap pile), and finally all the pieces came together (pun intended). It always amazes me that the forge welds seem to take, just as long as the metal is clean, the temp is right, and you just bump the two pieces of metal gently together to make the weld. There are those that suggest that for the perfect forge weld, you also need to align the anvil to north. Since I do that anyway, it is not an issue.

Anyone else try forge welding during the equinox AND the full moon tonight?

In 2010, in the United States, the Harvest Moon happens in the early morning hours of Sept 23, only 5 1/2 hours after the autumnal equinox.

Uh. . . I didn't even notice summer's OVER!! Alaska is well on it's way into the fast slide into winter's night. I've never seen much reason to celebrate the equinoxs, certainly NOT the vernal.

On the subject of welding though, I agree, clean, the right heat and just enough hammer are the secrets. A good flux doesn't hurt but isn't actually necessary unless you're trying to weld SS.

Frosty the Lucky.

My anvil has the horn pointing south (since I am left handed?). I didn't exactly use my compass to line it up perfectly.

It's funny to think about how all the natural materials you're using and how they're effected by all timing, alignment, heat, gravitational pull??

We'd probably have to get an Astronomer, Geo-physicist and maybe even a far-out metallurgist in the same room to start understanding it.

Very interesting subject to get the mind working this morning\

Thanks