Blacksmiths and Beards

Blacksmiths and Beards  

440 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a beard?

• Yes, I have a full beard
    • Yes, I have a goatee
    • No, I'm clean shaven
    • No, I couldn't grow a beard if I wanted to
    • No, of course I don't have a beard - I'm a woman!

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my younger days, I was quite active as a Volunteer Fireman.

At a Barn fire, ... on a very cold winter night, ... with smoke and sparks flying everywhere, ... a good friend came up to me, and started slapping my face.

My Beard was pretty long back then, ... and I had no idea that a wind-blown spark had landed in the "wool". :o

Needless-to-say, I was taken aback by this "attack" out of nowhere, ... but it didn't take long to get it sorted out.

( I guess he could have used a hose, ... or stomped it out., ... so, ... no harm, ... no foul. :P  )

For a few months, the Beard was a little "thin" on the right side .....

I wear the Beard a lot shorter now, ... and the occasional spark from the Forge still sets my face on fire, ... but now, when it does, I'm the first to know.  :D

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I think it all stems back to the deepest origins of the craft. From pantheon.org-
"Hephaestus is usually shown as an animated cripple bent over his anvil. He wears a beard and is normally depicted as being ugly"
In the interest of full disclosure in addition to the beard I am also ugly...;-)

Deb likes the beard so I haven't shaved in 17+ years. I'd rather have a spark make me smell like burnt hair than put a blister on my mug.

And as to the whole ugly thing, Tristan's looks would curdle milk alright. . . IN THE COW! <snicker> Frankly I think Deb likes the beard because it hides at least part of my face.

Frosty The Lucky.

Since becoming a blacksmith I have tried to grow a beard. I have been cursed by the female body and therefore I cannot even will myself a beard. I thought about getting one of those beardo hats so I can fit in.

You need to worry about that dog, it looks way to stressed.

Only half of the year here.

Beard in winter as especially how last year was I need every hair I can grow. :)

George

One other interesting thing you guys might like, In the French Foreign Legion it's traditional that the Pioneers (Engineers) all have beards. They also wear Blacksmith aprons when in full dress. This tradition goes back to when most of those guys worked in that trade. Check it out here:

It also worked real good for the Red Sox so any of you guys who have no beard go ahead and grow one like the cool guys do :D

I haven't shaved with a razor for many years. When it's warm I'll trim the beard away to nearly nothing. A few years ago I sheared the beard and stache off completely. Everyone told me I looked like a little boy and should grow it back. I use a mix of bees wax and pomade on my mustache, it makes eating a lot easier. I've neverr had a problem with it around the forge. If the wax starts melting I feel like my face is too close to the fire.
20150120_205038_zps4rzbcumj.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Once again, I'm proving to be outside any box, as none of the choices apply to me.  I HATE shaving, and only do it when I travel back to the Midwest to visit the folks over the X-mas holidays, because both my Mother and Father like a clean shaven billyO. 

About 15 years ago, I tried growing a beard but it itched too much (and I found out I have a bald spot right in the middle of my miniscule chin that looked goofy to me).  So....about once a week I use my hair clippers without any attachments to my face and neck, so my look varies between a heavy 12 O'clock shadow thanks to my Italian heritage (although it seems these days it's not so much a shadow as a dusting of snow) to a week into growing a beard.  Good thing I'm OK being single, eh?

So, how do I answer the poll???? 

tried a beard for a little while, between weeks 2-4 it was miserable. kept it for awhile then went back to the oilfield, and you can't have a beard because we had to be H2S certified, so off it came, been off for..24? years. then in 2010 I had radiation treatments, and, that saved me a few razors.. but now I shave out of defense because it's so scraggily and gray.

Thinking on this with 74.?% with a beard or goatee reported in the above forum it must be a regional thing.  I've been to numerous Hammer Ins in Vermont and twice Yearly New England Blacksmith events and I'd say the percentage here is well under 40%. (unscientific research of course) .  My son has a beard from  Hunting in Nov to late April as he works out in the woods in most all weather but when spring comes and the summer farm work starts off it comes.