Blacksmiths and Beards

Blacksmiths and Beards  

440 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a beard?

• Yes, I have a full beard
    • Yes, I have a goatee
    • No, I'm clean shaven
    • No, I couldn't grow a beard if I wanted to
    • No, of course I don't have a beard - I'm a woman!

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shave every 2 or 3 days. That way the respirator fits when I'm creating saw dust. (tend to do more wood work than anything else.)

edge9001, As someone who shaves with a straight razor, I can attest that you risk nasty cuts from dull razors. A sharp straight razor is the best shave you can get and is less likely to cut than a slightly dull one. I got a lot more nicks from "safety" razors when I was using them than sharp straight razors. On the other hand a dull razor is the worst shave you'll ever get. I think a big part of the reason beards were more common in prior ages was the necessity of having soap and water on hand to create the lather.

ron

I've had a full face of hair ever since I got out of the Navy. I cut it down to 1/2" long for some sinus surgery but that's as close as to a shave as I had since the Navy. I got so tired of cutting the hair on my face in high school I'd quit shaving the day school was out and not shave till school started again and not shave until I was told to by the Dean of Men, I was being sent home to shave a couple of times a month. Shaving is the biggest waste of time there is next to TV. If God didn't want us to have a beard we be women! :blink:

Full beard since 1973. Shaved clean once but like Rcrew haven't been near my face with a razor since.

Thought about hacking it into muttonchops for an "1890's" look for my upcoming shows, but remembered there ain't no chin under there. :lol:

D---M Yance I thought I was the only local who thought we might be outdateted
hope to see ya Sat have a few coming from Nw Georgi. Will look for ya there.
Ken.

Grew a mustache when I left high school in '76 had that for about 8 years with a few different beards along the way but always kept the mustache. Then went clean shaven for many years, had a soul patch when I had long hair for about 5 years. When I cut my hair I went clean shaven again with a few different soul patches,biker goatees and the like. Growing a full beard at the moment, but that will probably get modified along the way until I find something I like, then I'll probably shave it all off again. Can't make my mind up really :unsure:

I shaved seasonally, winter insulation and summer coolth, then I married Deb and she LIKES the beard! I'm thinkin I look better with more of my mug covered but what the hey, she puts up with plenty from me.

Frosty the Lucky.

Sam here Frosty.
My wife says if I ever shave off my beard I have to send her a picture of what I look like without it and give her 2 days to get used to the idea before I come home.
I find keeping it trimmed to about 1/2"-3/4" keeps it from catching fire around the forge.
I'm pretty sure that without a beard I'd look like a muppet - kind of hard to pull off the "burly blacksmith" image when you look like a muppet ...

Right now a beard. It depends on the season. Hunting season that is. I regrow my beard for deer season when I try to hide this mug from prying eyes. The progression of grey hair may be an advantage when it snows. Never had it catch fire but since I have only been smithing for @9 months, ask me again in the spring. Always had the moustache.
As far as respirators go, beards aren't allowed on NC fire departments paid or volunteer. But since I'm a driver / pump operator and don't wear a respirator, I get to sport the beard. <><

I have sported a full beard for some 20 odd years. It gets trimmed occasinaly( some times involinteraly ).
As to respirators, the german military and fire services don't seem to have a isue with beards. Food for thaught.

I've worked places where OSHA or insurance regs said NO beards due to potential respirator seal problems. It doesn't take but a little wiff of sulphur dioxide or hydrogen sulphide to change a protester's tune. I know I started shaving every morning after my first tiny sniff, working an inspection outfit on the north slope.

As to my main reason for replying with a quote is. The Odd years are my FAVORITES.:D

Frosty the Lucky.