I Forge Iron

Gloves for our feet

My Dad is a bootmaker/saddle maker. He also has a need for custom made iron tools from time to time...so periodically I get in line for a custom made pair of boots.

I forged and fabed him last pullers and lasting stands. And I am always on the lookout for boot and shoe making tools on my scronging. Boot making is much like blacksmithing. There are some very good modern tools made, however some of the best tools are old/antique.

There really is nothing like pulling on a brand new pair of boots that fit perfect from day one. No break in required. The first pair went on like I had worn them for two years.

To have an interest that makes life a little easier for someone you care about is a real gift for everyone involved.To have one that makes things better every day for both you and your Dad in equal exchange is about as good as it gets in life.I envy your closeness with your father and the exchange between the two of you.
Every time you put a pair of his handmade boots on you are reminded of his caring and careful nature and skill with every step.Every time he picks up one of the tools his son has made for him as he goes about his day he feels the same thing and is reminded of both the bond between you and himself and the connections between craftsmen and family.
Truly a blessing to have a daily reminder of such things.

Used to wear Redwings religiously but when I started having problems with my ankle that eventually required surgery, (Old motorcycle injury) I couldn't get them on and had to find an alternative. Carolina had a boot that I was able to live with. Wore them for about a year until I couldn't work anymore due to back problems related to the same injuries. That was about 4 years ago. I cleaned them up this weekend and wore them in the shop. They're now once again, my favorite boots :D Until they wear out, that is <_<

Hey Jer. never heard of fiberglass toes. I think I'll skick with STEEL. Yeh a few tons will will cut off your toes.
How much heat and pressure will Fglass do.
Ken.

Phenolic will take more heat than steel will without conducting it to your foot. They more than meet the standard for safety toes and even if you do crush them they will pop back up once the weight's off.

I used to make ducting with phenolic resin impregnated fiberglass in the 70s. first cure was 450f and finish cure was 600f. You could take a singly ply of 4oz in a 4" tube, cut it about 4" long with a slit so you could open it and try bending it over backwards. If you were strong enough you could get it to partially open out but it took two of us to bend it backwards. We did it over and over to the same piece maybe 50 times and it never got easier. Finally two of us bent it backwards and two more guys stomped it till it finally creased backwards. Even then a single guy couldn't open it let alone bend it over backwards.

Oh yeah, besides using it to make hot air ducting for combat helos phenolic was used to bullet proof helos without making them a lot heavier. Wicked tough stuff.

Frosty the Lucky.

Take a peek at Ariat lace-up work boots. They are the only boots that I have found that not only outlasted my Redwings, but were as comfortable, if not more comfortable. I punish my footwear(daily mud, forging, torch cutting,and 3+miles of walking a day) and after almost 2 years (and 7 pairs of laces) am planning on replacing my current Ariats with an identical pair. There not cheap but I have milked every peny back out of them. And sometimes comfort (As has been said before) is worth the .20 cents a day that this great pair of boots cost me.

I picked up a set of Caterpillar steel toes back in '95. Beat all to heck now. Still serviceable. Steel toes, steel eyelets, steel shank in the arch, chem resistant non-slip soles.

I've dropped stuff on 'em, been run over with a forklift, used as a tire stop for a truck, etc... Nothing too major though.

They are ugly, but they've held up well.

Next pair will probably be a set of Redwings though. Some times quality really is worth the extra pricetag.