I Forge Iron

4 bar twisted cross

postleg

Okay: Crosses. I am not a Christian but I have a neighbor up the road who is a real real real Christian whom I respect a lot. They don't have much but take in a slew of foster kids and shower so much love on them that they all do well. I would like to make them a cross for Christmas. I'm thinking about an 8inch high cross standing in a nice piece of granite.My skills are: I made handmade horseshoes for umpteen years,make nice wall hooks for friends and family and reasonably clean barbecue forks and such things. Any ideas,drawings,pictures? I'd like to make it nice and clean for such good folks.Thanks for ideas, Eric Sprado Sorry-I guess I shifted the subject here. Feel free to move this post somewhere else if need be....

http://www.anvilfire.com/iForge/ demo 56 and alternative method BP 79, similar effect gives what you may find satisfactory, and give a simple clean effective finished item, they can easily be mounted onto a base to be free standing, I have supplied similar to priests etc for when they go into peoples homes to take communion etc.

Okay: Crosses. I am not a Christian but I have a neighbor up the road who is a real real real Christian whom I respect a lot. They don't have much but take in a slew of foster kids and shower so much love on them that they all do well. I would like to make them a cross for Christmas. I'm thinking about an 8inch high cross standing in a nice piece of granite.My skills are: I made handmade horseshoes for umpteen years,make nice wall hooks for friends and family and reasonably clean barbecue forks and such things. Any ideas,drawings,pictures? I'd like to make it nice and clean for such good folks.Thanks for ideas, Eric Sprado Sorry-I guess I shifted the subject here. Feel free to move this post somewhere else if need be....

Here are some pics of a random cut twist cross I make out of 1/2 in sq bar. I have given a bunch away and every one seems to really like them

post-9934-076080400 1284001987_thumb.jpg

post-9934-006510300 1284002013_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here are some pics of a random cut twist cross I make out of 1/2 in sq bar. I have given a bunch away and every one seems to really like them

Those are very cool. How did you join them in the middle? Can you describe how you cut them (what with, how deep)?

This is just a humble observation - the top looks to me to be a little long. Maybe it's just the picture angle, I'm not sure. I made some out of 1/2" bar recently too and did a bit of research before I started. What I found is that most consider the optimal proportions to be a 1:3 ratio like this: http://thecrossweb.c...dimensions.htm.

I think those look really, really nice. Well done.

Those are very cool. How did you join them in the middle? Can you describe how you cut them (what with, how deep)?

This is just a humble observation - the top looks to me to be a little long. Maybe it's just the picture angle, I'm not sure. I made some out of 1/2" bar recently too and did a bit of research before I started. What I found is that most consider the optimal proportions to be a 1:3 ratio like this: http://thecrossweb.c...dimensions.htm.

I think those look really, really nice. Well done.

I forged a 1/2in sq hole in the middle of the cross bar. I used a sawall to cut the bar. You cut oposite edges random depths then chisle a line on both side of the other two edges. I then heat and twist the cross bar from the hole out reheat ahd twist he other side. I twist the main cross piece up to the point it will go through the cross bar. I assemble the cross and heat then put in the vise and twist the top. The crosses in the pics are some of the first ones I made so the tops are a little long. I have adjusted that on later crosses

Very creative. You've got me wanting to try it.

This twist is what really got me interested in blacksmithing. I came a cross a youtube video of a guy making a spike knife and used this twist on the handle. It was one of the first things I tried to do and is my favorite twist

This twist is what really got me interested in blacksmithing. I came a cross a youtube video of a guy making a spike knife and used this twist on the handle. It was one of the first things I tried to do and is my favorite twist

A minor point if I may, on the cross member you could make one side a left hand twist, and the other side a right hand twist, this will apparently alter the cross by drawing the overall appearance to lift towards the top or lower the appearance depending on whether the twist lines rise or fall (if that makes sense)

It also indicates more of a hand made item as most machine made twists are just one way

Right and left hand twists are particularly useful for drawing the eye and altering the visual appearances of fireplaces and gates