I Forge Iron

Bearded RR spike hawk.

This is my first tomahawk. I picked up a RR spike at an antique shop and decided to make it into this. I had seen people making hawks with RR spikes by upsetting the end but this made more sense to me. I could have spent more time on finish work but I wanted it to be a little rough looking.

post-13309-038085800 1283100829_thumb.jp

post-13309-046668200 1283100856_thumb.jp

post-13309-061699500 1283100873_thumb.jp

Great job. Especially for your first one.:) I think that you worked the head of the spike out just fine. Yes, there are some out there that look more "refined", but I too like more of a rough look on some things. Keep up the good work and thanks for posting the pix. Make a few more and post more pix.:D

Great job. Especially for your first one.:) I think that you worked the head of the spike out just fine. Yes, there are some out there that look more "refined", but I too like more of a rough look on some things. Keep up the good work and thanks for posting the pix. Make a few more and post more pix.:D

Thank you, I really appreciate it. I'm planning on making another with a hammer on the end rather than the spike, which I'll be sure to post pictures of.

That's a really good idea! Going to have to try that myself.

Thanks! Definitely do and post pictures :]

Nice work! I really like the spike on the end.
You're not that far from me! I'm Durants neck on the Albemarle Sound.
Keep forging ahead!
<><

Thank you, I'm glad you like it.
Oh cool deal. Good to see another guy in eastern NC!
Or forging a head as it were ;]

Any Orc would love it!!

For the horde! Thanks, Tim!

I likey..;)B)

Thank you, glad you do.

You done a good job. Now, try throwing and sticking it. My son and I used to have a lot of fun throwing hawks we made. Of course, that was before he discovered the fairer sex. ;)

I appreciate it. I've tried throwing it a few times and I figure I'm doing it wrong because I keep hitting right on the base of the handle. I think it might be because I'm throwing it like I would a knife. Any tips?

It's pretty much a matter of distance. If it's hitting at the base of the handle, back up about a half a step, so it can rotate to the point of the blade hitting the target. If the top of the hawk hits the target, step a little closer. Adjust your distance so the hawk makes one revolution(or more depending on distance thrown). Get the distance right and it will stick every time.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I also like the 'rough' look. Buffed as apposed to polished. I've made spike hawks but never a bearded one. I like the way yours looks. Another project to add to my growing list.
I strongly suggest the book 'Knives in Homespun America' by Madison Grant. It centers around the knives and hawks used by the everyday man living on the frontier in colonial America.