I Forge Iron

5 hours of forging

Here are some tools Lyle, LDW, and I made today in less than 5 hours. I know you could do much more than this with other equipment, but all we had was us. I know it's barbaric but we did it in good time with what we had, a hammer, a sledge, a hot cut hardy, and top and bottom tools that we made the same way. We're going to Tannehill to tailgate and do the samething except we'll be doing it all day, not just half a day.
post-4954-010339800 1282866838_thumb.jpgpost-4954-006454400 1282866890_thumb.jpg

It is awesome hitting a piece of steel as hard as you can with a big sledge hammer. Some of those tools are made from 4140 and some are made from jackhammer bits. The jackhammer bits are more fun to forge, they move a lot easier than the 4140. We cut a round piece of 4140 today that was 1 3/8" thick in 12 hits using one of Brians hot cuts and a top tool chisel. That may not sound like much but that is quick. It is amazing to me that Brian can remember all the different steps to making these different tools. This was a good day, Thanks, Brian.

Nice work Brian and Lyle
The good thing about the barbaric way is at the end of the job you feel like you actually did something.
I know I had a blast when you were here and cant wait till december to see you again here in Virginia.
December 3rd thru 5th at Yesteryear school of Blacksmithing.
Anyone within traveling distance should check out the website for details if you're interested in taking a class with Brian
http://www.yesteryearschool.com

Mike Tanner

What a treat to see the value of a good striker and 'smith working in unison, a rare event these days.

Thanks to you both for rekindling old memories, and showing that you don't need a powerhammer to turn out good tools.

Well done to you both.

10 tools in five hours, who needs a powerhammer? That is impressive guys. Hey Brian it looks like you are really spreading the hot cut out to give a wide cutting surface, can you explain this? I t seems like you would want the mass centered not spread out so thin

10 tools in five hours, who needs a powerhammer? That is impressive guys. Hey Brian it looks like you are really spreading the hot cut out to give a wide cutting surface, can you explain this? I t seems like you would want the mass centered not spread out so thin

Clinton,
If I would have had a power hammer with the right dies, I could have done alot more than that in 5 hours. I know my hot cut hardy can be easily forged in 1 or 2 heats with the right dies, but it takes us 5 heats including the cut to do them this way. There are a few reasons for the hot cut being spread out so wide. First, I cut large stock quite a bit and it gives me more area to turn it on. If I don't spread it side ways, it would get too long or tall, and when I finish with my flatter it would excede my flatter making me have to run the flatter instead of being able to hold it in one spot and not risk hitting my anvil.

Mike, how does someone get banned from IFI? Peyton is a good guy, and he added alot to this sight.
That hot cut hardy is my greatest invention. I have not seen a better or more efficient one out there. I'm suprised it hasn't caught on better. Everyone that has ever used it can tell instantly how much better it is. There is nothing out there that even comes close to being able to compete with it.

Nuge, those were made from jack hammer bits, and that is the collar part of the bit.

Awesome work there Brian. I have a hot cut made by champion that is almost the same configuration as yours. It has the curved top where the cutting edge is. The sides are straight however. The hardy post is angled like yours and its made for a 1 - 1/4" hardy hole. My Hardy hole is 1" but I use it anyway. I'm cutting hot steel, so it has no ill effect to my hardy hole. It's about 60 yrs old. judging from the old mine site I got it from. The cutting edge isn't quite as curved as yours is though. I'll post a picture of it as soon as I get my camera some batteries.

It is awesome hitting a piece of steel as hard as you can with a big sledge hammer. Some of those tools are made from 4140 and some are made from jackhammer bits. The jackhammer bits are more fun to forge, they move a lot easier than the 4140. We cut a round piece of 4140 today that was 1 3/8" thick in 12 hits using one of Brians hot cuts and a top tool chisel. That may not sound like much but that is quick. It is amazing to me that Brian can remember all the different steps to making these different tools. This was a good day, Thanks, Brian.

I have some broken jack hammer bits, hand star drills and a broken digging bar. How do you think these materials would work for hot forging tools on a flypress or hydraulic press? H13 tool steel is a little pricey for me right now. Thanks.

I have some broken jack hammer bits, hand star drills and a broken digging bar. How do you think these materials would work for hot forging tools on a flypress or hydraulic press? H13 tool steel is a little pricey for me right now. Thanks.

How about letting us know how it works for you Harold? H13 is kind of pricy for all of us all the time.
Frosty the Lucky.

It will work just fine for fullering and larger forging dies, but for punches and chisels you'd be better of with the H13 under a hydraulic press.

Awesome work there Brian. I have a hot cut made by champion that is almost the same configuration as yours. It has the curved top where the cutting edge is. The sides are straight however. The hardy post is angled like yours and its made for a 1 - 1/4" hardy hole. My Hardy hole is 1" but I use it anyway. I'm cutting hot steel, so it has no ill effect to my hardy hole. It's about 60 yrs old. judging from the old mine site I got it from. The cutting edge isn't quite as curved as yours is though. I'll post a picture of it as soon as I get my camera some batteries.

K. Bryan Morgan, I'd like to see some pictures of that hardy. I've never seen one like this one, but I know it works better than any other that I have ever seen or used.

Hey Brian, here it is. Not quite as wide as I thought. But anyway its not a Champion. Thats my other hot cut. This one is an ACME. But it is the one I use most. As you can see it has a curved edge. Not quite as curved as yours, and like I said the sides are straight. But it sure cuts hot steel easy.post-9027-028126800 1283061686_thumb.jpg