I Forge Iron

Can't find Crocous cloth

pkrankow

I need some crocous cloth, but not a very large quantity, 2-3 sheets would do. I have learned today that if you call and ask, and an old machinist isn't on the other end of the line they think you are talking crazy and try selling you 400 grit emery cloth.

I started looking up online and found abrasive films, but no one sells them it seems, or at least in less than case quantity. I am not interested in spending $50+ to do some fine cleaning.

Any help would be welcome.

Phil

Phil,

If you post what you plan to use it on we could probably be of more help.
Depending on the base metal and what I`m attempting to clean off I have yet to have Scotchbrite or an equivalent abrasive pad fail me.They range from non-abrasive for things like cleaning sap,etc off of polished surfaces to the equivalent of 60 grit to get after heavily rusted steel.
Most can be had by the sheet and can be matched up to equivalent powered products for those heavy duty household chores like scrubbing that cat you never got along with. ;)

What size grit are you wanting?

It may not be crocous cloth but I found some 1000 and 2000 grit sandpaper at the auto supply store. Knife makers use some fine grit stuff as well as buffing compounds with very small grit sizes. May want to check the hard core sewing machine shops as they sometimes use crocous cloth (1200 grit or so) for cleaning and polishing metal parts of sewing machines and for polishing the carbon deposits off sewing motor commutators. Supergrit.com has crocous cloth in both sheets and rolls, Imperialinc.com has it in rolls.

As Glenn said, Wet-Dry paper seems to be the closest equivalent; available from about 80 grit up to a couple of thousand, which get you pretty close to a mirror finish. Those abrasive film things are really cool, but also pricey. We got some as samples once.

Pricing usually doesn't deter me and micron papers are the most accurate and useful abrasives out there for most things. If you want to keep the costs down and still do some pretty fine hand polishing pumice or rottenstone is a pretty good choice. You can use it dry or with a lubricant. Rags, string, and felts make good applicators, depending on what you're doing. Steel wool is another cheap and useful abrasive and can be combined with pumice or chalk as well.

I order supplies from ENCO now and again and they sell 1200 grit water proof abrasive sheets for ~ $14.00 per 50. This link should get you there:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=387-1630&PMPXNO=939324

Hope this helps and good luck with your shopping endeavors. Spears.

I am cleaning up this old lathe and I have found that there are a number of rust blotches on the numbered dials. I have been told by several people I know that crocous will buff up the dials and improve readability. Some centers and Morse tapers are also in less than wonderful shape too, every thing has been bathed in oil, now more than once. While the bed is black I am not sure I want to buff it out, the same with the compound cross slide.

In the meantime I am making do with the less than legible markings.

I did not think of Scotchbrite, and you are right, knowing the task does present more opportunities and ideas.

I am also being entertained by the less than understandable change gear charts, but that is because I have never used them before. I also need to come up with a better means of leveling as I have a horrible garage floor and over an inch of shims under two legs. My first project is to make the actuator screws for the 4 jaw chuck I have that is "blown up" and missing actuators.

Phil

Big Foot, Shipping is $7.25, I am holding off for now. Thank you though.

I bought some aggressive Scotch brite that is meant to remove burn marks and blemishes from acrylic counter tops. I will let you know how it works, but it may be a week or so before I get a chance to work on it. If the scotchbrite isn't doing what I want I will order the crocus. I have not found a place to order the other newer products.

Phil

When i was working at Jelly Belly we had crocus cloth rolls from I believe Norton.

Matter of fact I may have some kicking around, how much do you need?

5 sheets should have me set for quite some time I think. I haven't used the stuff in over 15 years, and that was just 1 sheet to clean up a crank and cam with my brother because they got wet. I think I have a lot less rust than that to take care of.
Phil

• 3 weeks later...

Phil, I know this post has been up a while, but did you find any crocus cloth? I just saw this and realized I have a jobbers package of it. Its old but still works fine. How much do you want? They are full sized (8" x 10" ??) sheets. I will never use all of it. If you still need some, PM me with your address and I'll send you some.

Phil, I know this post has been up a while, but did you find any crocus cloth? I just saw this and realized I have a jobbers package of it. Its old but still works fine. How much do you want? They are full sized (8" x 10" ??) sheets. I will never use all of it. If you still need some, PM me with your address and I'll send you some.

No "local" source yet. Message sent.

Phil

My wife is demanding her parking spot in the garage back. Apparently "before the snow flies" is not good enough for her. I haven't touched the lathe is a couple weeks, but I have a clear aisle to it! Gonna park the wheelbarrow in front of it so I have easy access!

Dodge has a few sheets in the mail to me. Thanks BGD.

Phil

My wife is demanding her parking spot in the garage back. Apparently "before the snow flies" is not good enough for her. I haven't touched the lathe is a couple weeks, but I have a clear aisle to it! Gonna park the wheelbarrow in front of it so I have easy access!

Dodge has a few sheets in the mail to me. Thanks BGD.

Phil

Phil in an earlier post ya mentioned agressive scotch pads. NO NO NO.
They will even scratch glass(don't ask) There is a white scotch brite(fine) that might work. Use um wet with a little soap. Dodges should work. Have ruined several scales with red scotchbrite.
ken.

Phil in an earlier post ya mentioned aggressive scotch pads. NO NO NO.
They will even scratch glass(don't ask) There is a white scotch brite(fine) that might work. Use um wet with a little soap. Dodges should work. Have ruined several scales with red scotchbrite.
ken.

Like anything else abrasive related you have to match the tool to the job.You wouldn`t try removing light rust from a polished surface with a 60 grit flap wheel and angle grinder would you?

Phil in an earlier post ya mentioned agressive scotch pads. NO NO NO.
ken.

Glad I have been dragging my feet then.

How do you suppose they would work on the tooling that seems to have gotten wet? Centers and tool holders?

Like anything else abrasive related you have to match the tool to the job.You wouldn`t try removing light rust from a polished surface with a 60 grit flap wheel and angle grinder would you?

Check, leave the 60 grit flap wheel in the box while cleaning the lathe. :P

Phil

• 1 month later...

Give McMaster-Carr a call. I just looked on page 2535 of catalog #111 and they show it available in 10 sheet or 50 sheet packs. The catalog is a couple of years old, but they show it for $16.38 for the ten sheet pack. They have an online website and you can check the availability and current price at www.mcmaster.com