I Forge Iron

söderfors 77kg

Hi, Im new here. I just got myself a Söderfors 77kg anvil. Was wondering if anyone could tell me how old it is?
The edges have been welded, but how can I tell if it was done correctly?
Also, it has a hole (see picture) on the body. Havent seen that before. Does anyone know the purpose of the hole?

Its a real nice anvil with good rebound and it hardly makes a ringing noise at all. Its attached very thourughly to the stand.

Ive attached two pictures. Hope someone can be of help. Thanks.
Regards,
Hannes

post-14743-041415500 1282120976_thumb.jp

post-14743-095739800 1282120987_thumb.jp

Welcome to the forums!

Putting your location into your profile may prove helpful in the future.

As far as your anvil, congratulations. I'm sure someone with way more knowledge than me will be along soon.

Im really happy with it, the anvil is a delight to work on. But I would like to know some more about it like when it was made and what are those missing letters. Thank you, Sask, for posting pictures of yours. Seems it has letters on both sides and under the heel ground level. Mine only has on one side, at least I cant find anything that could resemble a letter. What do you make of the numbers under the heel? And what does the number 12 stand for (under the 1925 mark)?

I really couldn't tell you what all those extra numbers might stand for. I was thinking the one on on the left under the heel might be a serial number or other form of identification, the one on the right might be an inspection mark. I don't have any guesses as to what the 12 stands for. Of course, all of this is just speculation on my behalf, and could be all totally wrong. I'm also assuming that the 1925 is the year of manufacture. For all I know it could stand for something totally different.

Nice looking anvil you got there.
Would be interesting to know what it says under the Soderfors mark: DANN_MO_A

That would be "DANNEMORA" a mining/iron production district in Sweden
Söderfors used iron ore from the Dannemora mines.

Söderfors made great anvils, I´ve got two of them. A 68Kg from 1928 and a 166Kg from 1904