I Forge Iron

I been busy lately and haven't had time to post much on IFI. Here's some pics of some of the things we've been making.
Calvin Garlin from Tennessee took a 2 day class and here is the hammer he made. There are more pics that LDW took on picasa:

Michael, a 12 year old, from Alabama came by 2 days to make a fire place sceen for a wedding present,and here is what he did:

Garret King, a man that is just beginning in blacksmithing from Louisiana, and had no idea what we would be doing went away with these tools and an anvil stand that LDW made for his anvil.

Alfonso from Texas spent 4 days here and made these things along with many other forging exercises:post-4954-093602300 1282066826_thumb.jpgpost-4954-081189900 1282066876_thumb.jpgpost-4954-003692100 1282066901_thumb.jpg

They all did really great!

Your students are doing some very nice stuff Brian! It looks like you are able to put them quite a way toward professional results in a hurry. Nice work and great teaching!
I have one question about the top rail of the fire screen. I can't see how that joint was made? (seems a tough spot to put a forge weld). Anyway you can be justly proud! I see few students that do so well so quickly. I'm glad to hear that you are keeping busy.

Your students are doing some very nice stuff Brian! It looks like you are able to put them quite a way toward professional results in a hurry. Nice work and great teaching!
I have one question about the top rail of the fire screen. I can't see how that joint was made? (seems a tough spot to put a forge weld). Anyway you can be justly proud! I see few students that do so well so quickly. I'm glad to hear that you are keeping busy.

It is not a forge weld. It is a joinerry technique that I have never seen. I posted a thread a long time ago that I think got lost with the new updates. It is the first joinery technique that I came up with to make crosses and frame work when I was just starting out. I don't know how to retreive the post. Michael did most of that work, and he did quite a bit of striking which he had never done before, and he never complained or slowed down.