I Forge Iron

cadmium

Since Thomas Powers brought it up in the Zinc thread, and I remember vagely that the vapors of cadmium are seriously bad news, I've got a few questions. What are the effects? Not sure I want to know details, but "kills ya dead", or "makes ya sick as heck" are good enough for me. And, what kind of parts have it included in their alloys. I've heard brasses and bronzes (also mentioned by Thomas) sometimes use it. I collect spent ammo brass for casting. This stuff ok?

Jeff

articles coated with cadmium have a yellow or gold look to them. Compared to Cadmium, Zinc is hardly dangerous at all. With Cadmium you may just collapse or get sick and then be alright, a couple of hours later you will drop over dead.

On bolts, silver is zinc plating, and gold or yellow is cadmium.

The following is extracted from 29 CFR 1910.146 the OSHA Regulations on Confined Space Entry "Note: Some materials – hydrogen fluoride gas and cadmium vapor, for example – may produce immediate transient effects that, even if severe, may pass without medical attention, but are followed by sudden, possibly fatal collapse 12-72 hours after exposure. The victim "feels normal" from recovery from transient effects until collapse. Such materials in hazardous quantities are considered to be "immediately" dangerous to life or health."

Sources of cadmium vapors as Irnsrgn said are cadmium plated bolts, they are usually but not always Grade 8 Bolts, and NiCad welding rod. On any welding rod you would be well served to get the Material Safety Data Sheet, MSDS, and read it thoroughly before you use the rod. Fluorite is sometimes used in the flux on welding rods and when it burns off it produces Hydrogen Fluoride Gas.

Woody

• 1 month later...

Not all filter masks are created equal. There are different filters for different toxic substances. In addition they have ratings as to how much they will filter. Best thing to do is go to your local safety supply house and check with them. NOTE that I said Safety Supply House, not the local hardware store that sells rubber gloves, goggles and a couple respirators. Check with the safety professionals. They have charts and tables that identify the proper filter for the hazard. Then you must be fit tested for the respirator, one size does not fit all. The little paper filters with the rubber bands that go around your head are useless, unless they have a NIOSH Approval printed on them. Once the protective packaging on respirator filters has been opened, the filters begin to absorb moisture form the air and degrade so they need to be changed periodically. The life of the filters can be extended if the respirator is stored in a tightly sealed plastic bag when not in use.

Woody

Give this a try. When you need to weld some nasties, place a shop vac hose on the table about a foot away from the weldament. Fire up the vac and weld. If properly placed, it will not draw the shileding gas but WILL draw the smoke and nasties from the weld. A piece of # 9 wire may ne helpful in holding the vac hose. it's kinda cool to watch the weld color go away with this setup. Perfect ? Not by a long shot but does work for powder coat, galvanized or other nasties. This works fair for grinding. I have no welding hood. I have a 30 " fan on the floor for plasma and other nasties. Fan blows out the door. Have piddled with a water table for plasma but not really handy for me here. Protect yourself. BTW, get yourself a plug in CO detector and place it close to the door of your gasser. Let us know the results.