I Forge Iron

How do you organize your extension cords?

mcraigl

I just hang my cords on hooks. Hooks are easy to forge, even for a hack like me. :D

If you wind your ext on a metal spool it will heat up....I don't know the scientific reason(*****'s law) but it just does!

It heats up for the same reason an induction forge works. You induce a alternating magnetic field in the metal.

Has any one here experienced this firsthand \as apposed to having heard about it?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, done it too. Ran my plasma cutter and compressor off the same semi-spooled extension cord. The insulation on the coiled section went into meltdown. I run all the cable out now and fake it out on the ground.

• 1 month later...

Hanging electical cords over a hook invites disaster, leaves a kink also makes them suseptable to cracking. I use plastric mig wire spools cut in half to store them on, they are a throwaway item, so no cost and will hold several cords of the same length, I also use them for storing air hose.

i put a piece of auto vacum hose over my hooks for this very reason, so far no problems.

• 3 weeks later...

I have one of those 100ft 10g cords,seems like it weighs about thirty pounds at the end of the day,I use it on installations frequently.I made a metal version of the plastic H shaped ones,this worked well and I went and made them for all the go with me cords.

Some of my cords that I drag from place to place are coiled in a 5 gal bucket. It may take a few minutes to coil it in there but they stay out of the way and the buckets have handles so they are easy to tote around. Cut a hole in the lid with a slot in it to accomadate the plug and the wire and you the plug won't get caught up in the coiled wire.

Mark<><

I wrap them up nice and neat and then when I go to use them I have a ball of spaghettI find that a figure 8 works good for my welding leads, you never can get them to lay right but the figure 8 works real well

Another way I use is to double the cord in half and starting at the doubled over end start tying the doubled cord in slip knots. When I need it longer just pull the cord and it will unravel to the length you need.

Mark<><

The best way for me to keep my cords from getting tangled was to ask my wife to please not roll the up. Don't know what she does but, she can sure get them in knots.
When you roll your cords, keep both ends a little longer than the bundle and alternate the direction of each coil.
Stop by the local fire station. Any GOOD Truckman should be able to show you what I am talking about.
Jerry

The best way for me to keep my cords from getting tangled was to ask my wife to please not roll the up. Don't know what she does but, she can sure get them in knots.
When you roll your cords, keep both ends a little longer than the bundle and alternate the direction of each coil.
Stop by the local fire station. Any GOOD Truckman should be able to show you what I am talking about.
Jerry

That is also how cowboys coil their roping ropes so they uncil when they are thrown, instead of a tangled mess.