I Forge Iron

Rust pevention for heated items

gking

What would you use as a rust inhibitoron grill sets and other item exposed to heat tripods, campgrills, and the like?

I use a beeswax and linseed oil mix for my creations this far but wont that melt right off?

I am sure more experienced will chime in, but... I use Olive oil on my cast iron pans to season them. That is basically what you are doing. Heat them up, coat with oil, keep them warm for about an hour, then coat them again. When seasoning a new pot or pan I will do this 3-4 times at 400*F. Hope that helps.

Jeff

I am sure more experienced will chime in, but... I use Olive oil on my cast iron pans to season them. That is basically what you are doing. Heat them up, coat with oil, keep them warm for about an hour, then coat them again. When seasoning a new pot or pan I will do this 3-4 times at 400*F. Hope that helps.

Jeff

I like shortening over oil, I find it provides a more even coating that is less gummy. Otherwise about the same, oven heating at over 250F does the trick, 425F while cooking works fine too. It is rather forgiving.

It will need reapplied regularly, but the directions are so simple it is just maintenance. For pots and pans many say "annually whether it needs it or not" or whenever the coating looks less than fresh.

Phil

• 9 years later...

As I have posted else where, Cast iron pots and pans will do will with Flack seed seasoning, using an outdoor Fryer/Boiler I heat my cast iron to 400*F apply Flack seed oil and hold till smoking stops and apply another coat. This produces' a deep dark coating that is extremely hard to the point you can use metal utensils without worry of it chipping. I do this once a year to all my cast iron. do not apply too heavy and don't let it pool or it will not dry well and be sticky.